Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Crossroads

Author Topic: Crossroads
Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was just fine. I screened this expecting to get nothing out of it, cept maybe that special tingling feeling ala Britney, but honestly, I thought it was an okay movie. My friend watched it with me, and she found it to be quite entertaining. We both thought the singing during the movie was a little too MTVish, but expected. The actresses all did fine, and Britney didn't stand out as exceptional or bad among them.

*Your Clothes are Red*

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2002 01:02 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy. I sat through it looking at my watch every other minute. Seeing Britney bumping and grinding to Madonna in bed, wearing her bra and panties is a little to much for the age bracket coming to see it. That's just a comment from some parents that saw it with their pre-teen girl, errr, growing woman. i found it hilarious in spots as it was sooo corny. I'm glad to see she got boinked by a stranger, and not the classmate geek that she knew so well. Ah Hollywood, ohhhhh Badgirl Britney.

It was kinda cute watching the pre-teen audience of 99% females doing the wave at the ending credits/concert scene.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2002 04:00 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it was not bad neither was it really good. I was ok. Brittney was ok. Dan Akroyd was terrible.

A couple of points about the print. Seemed to be very grainy. Remember This is a flat film. It had a look of grainy super 35. Also some of the dialoge (i was watching in SRD) didn't sound that good.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS!!!!

I am in total awe of this picture.  I really don't know what to think of it. I see it as sort of an artistic representation of Britney Spears as an entity.  Every single frame is calculated down to the last detail in order to make the most amount of money possible.  The characters are constantly drinking Pepsi products, or using Herbal Essences shampoo, or whatever. Throughout the film, Britney writes in a notebook.  Someone finally asks what it is that she's writing, and she says it's poetry.  She then recites some of it for us.  IT'S LYRICS FROM SONGS OFF OF HER DAMN ALBUM.  Anyone who's still unaware of the brilliance of JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS really needs to see CROSSROADS.  It'll all become clear.  I'm actually surprised that CROSSROADS didn't come out first, since JOSIE seems like a perfect parody of it.

The product placement is not the only amazing thing about CROSSROADS.  The structure is also well thought out.  For example, we see Britney dancing around in her underwear in her very first scene in the film, and then once again in the first or second reel.  This keeps everyone in their seats for the remainder of the film, just in case.

I absolutely love CROSSROADS for the same reason that I love VARSITY BLUES. At the start of every single scene, you think to yourself, "They're going to do _____.  But no, they can't do that.  There's no way they could be that predictable."  And then they do it.  These films reach a level of such tremendous predictability that they actually become enjoyable to watch.  This to me is more forgivable than, say, A BEAUTIFUL MIND.  That picture is probably better made, but it still sucks, and it's much more bland and boring because it thinks that it’s something that it’s not (specifically, a good movie). CROSSROADS, on the other hand, knows exactly how cheesy it is. It tries really really hard to take itself seriously, but it knows that it can’t, and instead, embraces its cheesiness.

So can Britney act?  It's hard to tell.  I think that they've sucessfully surrounded her with mediocrity in an attempt to mask her lack of talent.  That being said, she's a better actor than me, so who am I to talk?

I always have trouble when people say that they like bad movies.  By far, most movies are made to entertain. If you like a movie, no matter what the reason, it almost has to be "good" by definition.  Like I said before, I really think that the filmmakers are aware of just exactly what this picture is, and because of that, I guess I'd have to say that it's a "good" movie.  I don't know.  It's like this:  I asked my friend the other day if he liked Britney, and he said, "There's really no liking or disliking her.  Britney's Britney.  She's just a part of our lives.  Like air or water."  He’s right. And this film captures that reality perfectly.

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said...Your post brought a song to my mind...
"Did you ever know that you're my hero...you're everything I would like to be..." -Midler

One night my roomate and I argued what was "good" music and what wasn't. We did this for eight strait hours. We finally agreed that "good" depends on if you liked it, bottom line.

To bring this back to topic...I can't wait to buy the DVD, that underwear scene will have me searching for easter eggs like a MOFO! Peace!~

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-23-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not see this movie in a theatre because I thought it was a mindless film that would only attract the fans of Britney Spears consisting of mainly young teenage girls and I also tried to avoid renting the DVD for the same reason. Despite the favorable comments on this thread, I still did not want to see this movie until last night when I was desperate to see something new and "CROSSROADS" was one of the only new stuff available and since I can rent DVDs for about $1.50 a night, I decided to give it a shot. While it is not a film that will be up for any major film awards, it accomplished it's main objective and that was to entertain. I personally felt the fim did because I enjoyed it very much. Except for two scenes that suggested improper sexual behavior in my opinion, the thing I liked the most about the film was the way how young people were portrayed in a favorable and respectful manner.

-Claude

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

I was wondering what kinds of groups or bands you and your friend were arguing about over what was 'good' music? You quoted Bette Midler , you liked 'Crossroads' , I was just wondering, guaging by your comments, if most of the music that was talked about was MTV pop or top 40 (AKA Britney Spears, N-Sync, ect.)

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh, this debate took place back in 1996 when I was a freshman in college. I had grown up in a small town that was about four years behind the trends. Grunge was just fading out, and by that time I had really taken a liking to it. I was (and still am)very into pearl jam. However my tastes are quite eclectic, and I was just arguing for music other than Led Zepplin. My roomate loved them and I really can't stand to listen to them that much. I will agree that they were progressive and talented musicians, but I personally don't get into their songs.

For the record...I do like Britney Spears, I do like Pearl Jam, I do like Eminem and I will continue to like pop music as "good" stuff comes out. But I also like Joplin, Garth Brooks, Tori Amos and Ani DiFranco. I guess I don't really have a set musical taste.

PS THE DANCING ON THE BED SCENE STILL KICKS BUTT!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: