Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Storytelling

Author Topic: Storytelling
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-18-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is Todd Solondz's new film. If you liked "Welcome to the Dollhouse" and "Happiness" (I did), then you will probably enjoy this one, too. It's oddly disturbing yet entertaining in the same way.

This one is a weird amalgam of ideas from a bunch of other titles, ranging from American Beauty to Wonder Boys, to The Graduate, along with a few scenes that reminded me of a terrific British film from a few years ago called Young Poisoner's Handbook.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure how to describe this in greater detail, nor am I going to attempt to offer an explanation for what it means. I will say that--as in Solondz's previous films--the casting is dead-on perfect, right down to the inclusion of Mike Schenk (the weird long-haired guy from "American Movie").

In short, I enjoyed this, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2002 07:09 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i cant wait for this one!
i just recieved a trailer for this at work, so we should see an aussie release soon

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 11:43 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Storytelling is comprised of two stories, 'fiction' and 'non fiction', on the surface the two stories are seperate but i definitely feel that the second part is most certainly a result of the first!. There was originally three stories, but the legendary james vanderbeek's (dawsons creek) gay showerscene was cut by the censors, causing todd solondz to cut the whole third story, i certainly feel that the film suffers from this!.
This film is designed to make you feel uncomfortable and i certainly feel that he succeded in that aspect, it's most certainly not his best film , but it still has something to say and... in that respect it's worth a look!.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: