Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Super Troopers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super Troopers
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 11:04 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/02/15, 21:45, Carmike 10, Huntsville, Aud. 4, Dolby Digital, Flat

I'd seen the trailer to this movie several times recently and it looked hilarious. But, I was afraid that all the good jokes may have been used for the trailer. This wasn't the case. In fact, one of the jokes scenes from the trailer was different that I expected in the movie. The movie had some great "one-liners" (the kind you wish you could remember the next day) that got a lot of laughs.

One I remember was

"I have brass buns."
Reply: "You should join the band".

I wonder how much policemen will like this movie. This morning, I thought about the movie "Police Academy" and decided that "Super Troopers" is too different to be compared to it.

This movie had a good turnout and I didn't hear a single cell-phone or anything distracting. The presentation was perfect. I could tell that the audience really enjoyed this show. One person other than me actually stayed to the end of the credits. I just knew there would be some sort of something stuck on the end of there.

In summary: Thumbs up.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Santapaola
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2002 06:07 PM      Profile for Christopher Santapaola   Email Christopher Santapaola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film at a semi-local 20 plex. There was a group of teenagers in the row behind me drinking beer and being all together annoying. As well as some of the main speakers behind the screen topping out and crakling at the louder sounds which was mainly during the trailers.

Despite those I found this story to be hilarious, nearly every minute there was another punch line after another. I especially liked the meow game.

Darn funny movie.

------------------
-Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that walks, and struts its hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The review from Vermont:

((nat sot -- accident)) Vermont State Police in Saint Albans quickly respond to an accident on the north-bound on-ramp to I-89. After a house trailer -- in transit -- rolls over. Police close the on-ramp to upright the mobile home. It's just another day on the job -- for troopers at Vermont's busiest barracks. ((nat sot of movie)) That's a concept lost on a new movie called "Super Troopers." A fast-paced comedy about Vermont cops, crime and killing time. It spoofs Troopers based in Saint Albans. The characters -- with too much time on their hands -- play pranks on drivers -- and take impounded sports cars for spins. Nothing like REALITY ... according to Lt. John Filipek. ((LT. JOHN FILIPEK/Vermont State Police: Are you kidding -- it's a joke. A comedy. Nothing like being a real state trooper.)) Film writers -- who frequently vacation in Vermont -- say they spoofed Troopers here to set the film somewhere near a U.S. border. And the state's relaxed image didn't hurt either. Saint Albans State Police are taking the film in stride. ((LT. JOHN FILIPEK/Vermont State Police: I don't think it discredits our profession, hey, people need to be entertained. I'll go see it.)) ((DARREN PERRON/-3-: While State Police in Saint Albans don't seem to mind the movie, other state troopers aren't so pleased. If fact, some declined to talk with us -- saying they didn't want to promote a movie they find offensive... and cast State Police in Vermont in a bad light.)) But Vermonters who saw the film earlier today ... say there's no chance of that. ((DARREN CHIOTT/Watched "Super Troopers": There's no way people will think this is real and that troopers act this way.)) And movie makers hope other patrons also realize that the film is not a shot at Vermont State Police-- and race to the theater to see it. At legal speeds of course. Darren Perron, Channel 3 News, South Burlington.

I'm gonna have to see this film.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
02/17/02, Regal Cinema World 8, Theater #5, 12:15PM, flat, seemed to be Dolby SR. Exactly 8 people there. Good presentation except for daylight leaking in through the booth.

"And movie makers hope other patrons also realize that the film is not a shot at Vermont State Police-- and race to the theater to see it." Not much chance of that I would say. This movie will be down to 2 shows a day next week (same as Rollerball even though it came in 3rd at the boxoffice only last week), and gone by the 3rd week. OK, I laughed at some of the stuff, but too much of this was lame, and I didn't like most of the "Broken Lizard" comedy people. Most of them are just plain not funny. See it while you can 'cause it'll be going away very quickly.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2002 11:05 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/02/17, 19:30, Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 18, Digital sound, Flat

quote:
See it while you can 'cause it'll be going away very quickly.

Meow, I don't know about that. I saw this movie again just meow because a friend wanted to see it. He's pretty picky about movies, and he loved this one, and I enjoyed it as much the second time as the first. The turnout this Sunday night was very good. Word of meow will probably keep this one pretty popular, especially on weekend nights.

The presentation was excellent, as was the earlier one. When the guy tore my ticket as meow friend and I were going in, he said that they were installing the movable masking meow. I asked if any of them had been completed and he seemed to think so. I need to visit this theatre on a weeknight (when it's not busy) and talk to the manager and get confirmeowation. Meow, what will I complain about when scope and flat can be shown uncropped in all auditoriums here?

Doggone, that was only eight, and I was trying for ten.

Meow! Meow!

There, that's ten. [Makes no sense if you haven't seen the movie.]

This was one of the better comedies I've seen lately. It's consitently funny most of the way through. When you think things might be getting a little dull, it doesn't stay dull for long. This is a winner.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-17-2002 11:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, first the rhyming Rollerball review, and now this. Keep it up, you're on a roll.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2002 09:45 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to agree with David on this one, it just wasn't as good as I thought it might be. I laughed here and there, but not very loud and I doubt I will be laughing about this movie tomorrow. The best scenes were in the trailer, unfortunately.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2002 01:16 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find it entertaining. Plus, I saw it two days after it opened and saw 90 minutes of platter scratches. Perhaps, the projectionist should have gone to work straight, and I should have shown up high to enjoy this crap.

Jeff Leyland
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Jeff Leyland   Email Jeff Leyland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, like all movies of this genre, it has its great moments and very bad ones. I found myself laughing a lot at some scenes, but very bored in others. But a few scenes are so off the wall funny they are worth watching the movie. My theatre is not playing this. But if we did have it I would find myself doing film checks more often. That is always a sign of a good movie when you want to see particular scenes over and over again.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I said: "This movie will be down to 2 shows a day next week..." [which is now]. Well, I admit I was wrong. It's still playing a full daily schedule here. Amazing.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 01:14 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got to see this one. I could write better comedy than this with one hand tied behind my back.

<rant> As a Vermonter by birth, I am very offended that the maple syrup that was being chugged was not even real maple syrup, but some goop in plastic bottles probably made of southern sorgum.</rant>

There actually is a comparable ritual to the syrup chugging. These 200 lb guys were supposedly chugging only about 30 oz of syrup. The real story is much different. As third graders, each weighing about 50 lbs, busloads of Vermont children are driven by maniacal teachers to the maple orchards and sugar houses in the spring to experience the "sugaring off" of maple sap first hand.

The crisp air and bright spring days are lovely, as are the trickles of water from melting snowbanks that run into the dirt country roads, making puddles in the dirt and washing out chuckholes the size of a medium sized dog.

The busses pull up in front of the chosen steaming sugarhouse, and the kids are led inside, where huge flat evaporator pans boil down the sap, filling the interior with hot, wet, sweet air, quickly parboiling those kids closest to the evaporator pans, turning them the color of well done lobsters. A rind of slat pork hangs above each pan to prevent any foaming overboiling of the mixture. The saltpork acts on hot foaming syrup like garlic does to a vampire.
A quick dip of the pork into the foam will break it down immediately, impressing the overheated little kids. Unfortunately, sometimes the pork is rancid, and the effect of the rotton pork smell with the heat makes some small stomachs queasy.

Each kid is then taken outside and handed a dill pickle, a six ounce paper cup full of hot syrup, and a paper french fry tray filled with snow and topped with about four ounces of sticky syrup that has been overboiled to resemble taffy when cooled. Each kid is expected to eat all of the sticky syrup, using the pickle to refresh the taste buds, then drink down the hot syrup neat or pour it on the snow for seconds. The equivilent of 12 oz of syrup in a 50 lb body does wonders that nature never intended. The lucky ones throw up, while the unlucky ones go into sugar shock or get raging headaches, all exacerbated by the fume laden bus trip back to the school over the chuck hole filled roads.

Every child knows that when they get home they are required by tradition to say how wonderful it was that they got to see real live sugaring. Retiring to their rooms, they then pass out or plead with God for a quick and certain death.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed this movie to two friends this past Friday night (after watching the disappointing "Master of Disguise" earlier that night in the theatre) and it was very enjoyable. Super Troopers is a great movie to have around on DVD for parties.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Brooks M. Davies
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 01:44 AM      Profile for Brooks M. Davies   Email Brooks M. Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree evans I'll never forget when this came out i let some of my ol' co-workers (im a former police officer) into the sneak to viewit. all of them being either local officers and or state troopers or S.O deputies. man we had a blast, the meow game was a riot and now i can honestly say that it is being done here, i think the record is 12 by a deputy, and another ongoing record is the salsa chuging,(this is texas you know) which we still get together and try to beat the fastest(trooper has this) they loved the movie so much they placed bids in to the theater for the banner and promo's to put in their depts. ahh the good ol days.......

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-05-2006 05:35 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1507 days since the last post.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2006 05:35 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has some good parts. I was expecting it to be funny like Beerfest, but it was not.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: