Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Rollerball (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rollerball
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:42 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/02/08, 21:55, Regal Hollywood 18, Auditorium 2, Digital sound, Scope, Anamorphically filmed

This was 90 minutes of pure hell.
I didn't like it very well.
A new candidate arises not so keen
for the worst movie I've ever seen.
For guys that like to wrestle
and whose brains have no blood vessel,
or who like to play hockey
and heads are dense and rocky,
this movie would be great
and the adrenaline first rate.
But members of civilized society
of a more intelligent variety
will tend to be bored to snot
with the very predictable plot.
How long can an hour and a half be?
This film made it feel like three.
Roller skaters and motorcycles don't mate
on a track small and figure eight.
If I had the night over again
I'd have gone home before ten.
I'll not be buying the DVD
no matter how cheap it be.
The presentation was top notch
with not a single botch.
I seriously beg of all of you
not to emulate this style of review.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 02-09-2002 01:29 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, I know nothing of the movie Rollerball, but it almost sounds like a spin-off of the movie with Gene Hackmann that came through the circuits in the mid to late 1970's.

We are not getting that movie, so I have no previews or One-Sheets to even look at.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-09-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, with reviews like that you might just make a name for yourself and end up getting a full time gig out of it.

(Honestly, you made that up during the show you were so bored, didn't ya? )

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 02:07 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anything with LL Cool J sucks

just my opinion....

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 11:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert ripped this movie to shreds. His review (and Evans') was probably more entertaining than the movie. So it naturally follows that I will have to see this for myself.

------------------
- dave
I want that North American cable deal!

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 01:46 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, that was possibly the greatest review of all time. If only all of your posts were in poem form. Brilliant!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 04:01 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Evans, with reviews like that you might just make a name for yourself and end up getting a full
time gig out of it.

(Honestly, you made that up during the show you were so bored, didn't ya? )

About being bored -- during one point, I put my head back on the seat and closed my eyes. I was a bit tired, since this was my second movie attended that night (quite a rare thing for me to do). I'm not too fond of that kind of violence. Maybe bored wasn't the right word. Maybe "indifferent" was better. I really didn't care what happened in the movie. I just occasionally looked at my watch to see how much of it was left. I was sitting in the back row of one of the two largest auditoriums in the place.

And no, I'm not going to try to make too many postings in poem form. I was just in one of those moods last night.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 04:15 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I smelled a bomb from a mile away, and it was called Rollerball. I mean, Chris Klein in a tough guy role? That is a weak attempt to show his "versatility" as an actor. He should stick to being the nice guy. Also, ANYTHING with Rebecca Romijn Stamos is going to be uninteresting. Did you hear that accent she has in this movie? I laughed when I heard it.

Sorry if I am sounding a bit harsh, but that is just my opinion.

------------------
Let...me know...if you see..a Radio Shack...

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night 6:55 showing. Attendance: 2

2 F**king customers and this show is in our biggest house. Well until tomorrow anyway.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-09-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
02/09/02, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, 1:40PM, Theater #8, DTS. About 50 people there. Negative splices flashing at the top, and soft focus. I complained about the focus, and they actually tried to improve it but didn't get it any better. The upper-left quadrant was sharp, everything else soft. The sound was cranked VERY loud, which helped highlight the only good thing about this movie, the sound mix.

I guess if this is supposed to be an adolescent fantasy comic book/movie aimed at a very unsophisticated 12-18 year old MTV crowd, it kind of works on that level. Lots of smash-cut editing (action sequences are basically incomprehensible), stilted comic book dialog, and accompanied throughout by very loud music and sound effects (I actually liked the sound mix, and it does need to be played loud). Unfortunately I think this is supposed to be a serious action flick, and on that level it is ludicrous. If the end result is what John McTiernan intended, I am at a loss to explain his other good movies like Die Hard. I'm surprised he didn't remove his name from it and let them say it was directed by Allen Smithee.

[If the name Allen Smithee isn't familiar: Many movies have been released with the director "Allen Smithee" in the credits, a ficticious name. This was done when the real director was so unhappy with the final cut of the film that he refused to have his name associated with it. See http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/atoday/stories/s353584.htm for the story on Mr. Smithee.]

------------------
- dave
I want that North American cable deal!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-11-2002 05:54 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...

>>A few of the adjectives being used to describe John McTiernan's Rollerball remake: "Shockingly awful and incoherent" -- Gary Thompson, Philadelphia Daily News; "Boring and ... obvious" -- Elvis Mitchell, New York Times; "Painful, mostly lame" -- Jonathan Foreman New York Post; "An incoherent mess," -- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times; "Loud, violent and mindless" -- Tom Maurstad, Dallas Morning News.<<

Bring on the original in four track mag kids. You'll make a mint.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-14-2002 03:36 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually walked out of this movie and I NEVER do that...the only bad part was that I had to walk back in because the 2 guys I were with actually liked it...THEY LIKED IT!!! I MUST have messed up friends! Luckily I didn't pay for this one....the only good thing about this movie.

------------------
Brad, you're pretty darn Chipper yourself!!!

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2002 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand impossible scenarios ... such as the "global rating" tripling instantly after the replay.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-23-2002 09:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Columbia are not even insisting on evening sessions for the first release of this here. Not a good sign.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-23-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was pulled after 2 weeks here. The 2nd week it only ran 2 shows a day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: