Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Big Fat Liar

Author Topic: Big Fat Liar
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/02/08 19:00, Regal Madison Square 12, Auditorium 8, DTS, Flat

I found this movie very enjoyable and do not remember looking at my watch a single time to see how much time was remaining. After this movie got a positive review in the Huntsville Times, which I didn't read (just looked at the star rating), I decided it would be the first movie I'd see tonight. It exceeded my expectations. It's basically a teen/pre-teen fantasy of revenge. I've seen several good movies with early and pre-teen kids in them (Snow day is another good one that pops into my mind). I recommend Big Fat Liar. It has some outlandish gags, but they aren't of the variety found in movies aimed at older teens. During the whole movie, I had a good feel for what would eventually happen, but I was never sure of the details of how it would happen, so I stayed interested.

The presentation was very good. This was the first movie I'd ever seen where a hair got stuck in the gate. The hair was removed twice but it was stubborn or a different one, but that's neither hair nor there.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not yet seen this move, and therefore cannot review it. But I have been having a dilemma about wether or not to go see it. You can watch a short movie I made about it here.

I've decided to go expecting a stupid PG-rated comedy. That way if it is a stupid PG-rated comedy, I'll see exactly what I was expecting. If it isn't, I'll be pleasantly surprised. (to paraphrase "The Spanish Prisoner")

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was aimed at younger audiences (I'd say 15 and under). Still, it was enjoyable. The main point made by the movie is that telling the truth is better than telling lies, which is good for its target audience.

A good line:

"Your car is parked on a dog."

Warehouse scene:

One fun thing to do when watching the "warehouse scene" is to try to remember which movies that certain things in that room came from: Dinosaur stuff from "Jurassic Park", Telephone booth from "The Avengers?", Stuff from "The Mummy", etc.

Some obvious problems:

A single bottle of blue dye having the ability to dye the water in a large swimming pool enough to dye Marty Wolf blue.

"The Masher" being able to drive his truck over Marty's car (tires not big enough to be a monster truck), demolishing it, and getting away with it.

If everyone that worked with Marty hated him, how could he have gotten as far as he did?

Seeing the bully guy in a skirt was funny, but the grandma not realizing he was a guy, even though he was still speaking like a guy, was a bit hard to believe.

I felt that the little scene right before the credits where Marty is a clown going to "The Masher's" house, and gets nailed in the balls by his son is out of place and doesn't fit in with the rest of the movie, since those types of gags weren't used in the movie.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2002 12:32 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie hit a very personal nerve with me. I used to have a bit of a problem with honesty. Most people will probably think it sucks big time. I like it. I have a small but growing collection of DVDs of movies that I like and this movie will appear on that shelf at some point.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2002 01:38 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one thing can be said about this one:

Extremely Cheesy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: