Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Collateral Damage

Author Topic: Collateral Damage
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2002 09:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2/8/02, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, Theater #4, 4:30PM. Digital sound, probably DTS. Overall excellent presentation. About 50 people there.

This is Arnold's best action picture in a long time, maybe up there with Predator and T2. I thoroughly liked it. Of course the subject matter of the story takes on a different meaning post-Sept. 11th. I'm wondering if they tinkered with it during the release delay, or went with the original film as it was pre-9/11. Anyway Ahnuld is in fine form, and he holds the movie together very well. He's an LA firefighter whose wife and child are killed in a terrorist attack. Ahnuld of course takes matters in his own hands and seeks to avenge their deaths. The trip is all-action and they keep it moving. As in most movies like this it's full of improbabilities, but I had no problem going with it. It's very well-done. [Or maybe after 9/11 I am just more receptive than usual to the concept of movie-Arnold kicking some terrorist butt.]

------------------
- dave
Avoid the meadow...

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched an interview with the director last night, and he says that the movie wasn't changed at all. However they did decide to open the movie now because of how well "Behind Enemy Lines" and "Black Hawk Down" performed at the BoxOffice.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why oh Why didn't they film this in scope?
This is a sort of different direction for Arnie. He was not his wise cracking self in this one and no memorable tag lines. This was a pretty serious film. Is Arnie trying to become a serious actor?
I liked it. The presentation was Ok, I saw it in the same theater that I saw "Beautiful Mind" in a week or so ago. Theater #8 at the Regal Poulsbo 10. They still haven't fixed the flickering bulb, even though I made a trip to the "managers" office after I saw BM and told them of the problem. This screen was way underlit. It was presented in DTS, which was very nice except during one part when I heard some repetitive clicking in the right surrounds. It didn't last long and wasn't enough to spoil the film.
The bad guy shouldn't have axed him that last question....

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-10-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, I sat in the 6th row, which helped make it look a little scopey. This movie really looked good on a brightly-lighted screen, scope or not...

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this on DVD out of boredom.
I could only manage 12 minutes of it, i found it very sad to see arnie looking like he was going to drop dead of OLD AGE! his plastic surgery suddenly became very obvious.
Every frame that i saw of this film said D grade film making, arnie sure has gone down hill! now i know why he's done terminator 3, he needs the cash/publicity!

I WAS APPALLED BY THIS FILM!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-31-2002 02:40 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sure to be unliking of this picture... HOWEVER..

very much surprised to really like this movie. Arnie gets his chance to play a very HUMAN character, which is odd for him. he gets to play the struggling husband and father who is left alone and left to live with his own internal guilt and desire to exact revenge.

This is a great film, and too bad I agree, it should have been scope.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: