Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Slackers!

Author Topic: Slackers!
Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2002 02:35 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh my! this is some funny stuff! there need to be more stupid and entertaining movies like this one. jason shwartzman has succeded in making a good follow-up apperance in this film. get the basic outline and full cast here: http://us.imdb.com/Details?0240900 .

im not into reviewing things, but i do think word should get out about how funny the movie is. the college crowd will especially get a kick out of it.

love,
Cool Ethen

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-01-2002 03:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the funniest thing I've ever seen, but definitely worth a screening because it's pretty darned entertaining. Expect a really stupid, yet oddly funny comedy that will not have you looking at your watch even one time.

Also, while there isn't really much in the movie to show off the audio, this flick has a very crisp and smooth sound mix!

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2002 11:43 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one word to describe this movie:

Yawn.

Sorry, but I thought this one was almost an incredible waste of time.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Carmike 10, Huntsville, Auditorium 6, THX/Dolby Digital, Flat, 2002/01/31, 19:10

First, the presentation was excellent, with no deductions in my rating system.

The movie was a lot of fun to watch. I was a bit disappointed with the turnout of 19 or 20 people on an opening Friday night, but those that came laughed a lot.

Being in an academic environment (working at a university), I wonder if there are actually professors that always get someone else to give all their exams, which always seems to be the case in movies (like theatres running changeovers). I have a B.S. degree, an M.S. degree, and have taken enough courses for a Ph.D., and have never encountered this situation. Maybe it is more common at really large universities. Another thing: I've had exactly one professor during my entire college career that used the college "blue books" (examination books) for exams. I had to buy them at the university bookstore, and they weren't provided at the exam, as they were in the movie. I wonder how common the movie's exam setup is in comparison to real life. The movie makes it seem too easy to "cheat one's way" through school. In real life, professors are used to people trying to cheat and they are quite aware of everything that goes on in their classrooms.

//If you have not seen this movie, you may wish to skip the next paragraph:

The plot was predictable. I knew that the Ethan guy was going to get the three to do things for them, but I knew eventually they'd get him back. I wasn't sure how it would happen. I was a bit misled by something that happened early in the movie. After the first exam, when Ethan went back down where the cheater guy was sitting, I thought when he picked up the hair and lint and stuff, he was getting the guy's so he could do some sort of DNA analysis on it or something to identify him and retaliate against him somehow. I later realized it was the girl's hair when the hairdoll was shown. It's funny to think about some college guy being so obsessed with a girl to do what he did.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-13-2002 08:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I needed to waste 80 minutes and that's exactly what I did.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: