Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Mothman Prophesies

Author Topic: The Mothman Prophesies
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-27-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Make that Prophecies]

Sun. Jan 27th, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, Screen #5, 12:45PM. Digital sound, probably DTS. No technical flaws worth mentioning -- looked & sounded great. Maybe 20 people there: talkers, gum snappers, and seat kickers were well represented.

They tried to make a moody, creepy, scary film. But it's just too slow and flat. Almost like the movie is on valium. There are 1 or 2 good scares, and the "event" at the end of the movie is well done. But 5 reels leading up to that seem to take forever. They never turn up the suspense enough to make it very compelling. Any randomly-picked episode of X-Files does this kind of story better [prior to the current season of X-Files that is].

------------------
- dave
Stay away from the meadow...

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2002 10:27 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping this was going to be a much scarier movie. It seems like an A team cast and crew in a B type movie. From the timing, I couldn't help but think that this project got the greenlight because of "The Blair Witch Project". A well crafted nothing.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2002 03:55 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Carmike Century Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, 2002/01/30, 19:10, Auditorium 1, Optical Stereo, Scope/Super35

At first, I didn't want to see this movie, but one night during the previous week, I turned on the TV and there was a documentary on the Mothman, which I watched. The next day, I did some internet research on the Mothman, and that got me interested enough to want to see the movie. I think I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I would have had I not done some research first. Of course, I knew that the bridge disaster was going to happen at the end.

It's funny that I've read lots of stuff over the years on various unexplained, mysterious things, and I'd never once heard of the Mothman until that documentaty was on TV that night.

Presentation quality was acceptable with no deductions in my rating system.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 12:23 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this movie worked really well. The photography is gorgeous. I also love the editing. It's one of those movies, like CITIZEN KANE, where every shot seems to be structured based on the shots which come before and after it. If you take out one of those shots, the whole thing kinda just falls apart. Mark Pellington is one of the best filmmakers currently working in the industry.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: