Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » A Beautiful Mind

Author Topic: A Beautiful Mind
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2002 10:27 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russel Crowe did a great job of acting. He had the mannerisms of an eccentric/genius down pat. He also did a great job of portraying a person who sinks into mental illness. I guess this movie was based on a true story. I had no real idea what it was about, but from the trailers I saw, I expected some kind of code breaking spy type thriller. I guess I was kinda right...kinda.
Spoilers
It's very hard for me to watch movies with/about people with mental problems. Rain Man was one I couldn't sit all the way through. Watching Crowe's character sink into the abyss was a bit stressful specially as well acted as it was. I wish they had made the fact that he was hallucinating some characters a little more apparent, once revealed. By not being a little more concrete about who was and who wasn't, it was hard to figure out what reality was. Maybe they wanted the viewer to "get lost" as Nash was. It made me feel slightly out of balance. If they meant to do that, they succeeded and I say good job. But it did make me feel uncomfortable. Nice ending, but unexpected (by me) as I didn't know they story before I went. Not a real rockem sockem film. More of a character study. Good though.
--

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-04-2002 05:17 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody else has replied to this, so I will. Saw it at a sold-out show at Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, in DTS. The presentation was perfect - Film Done Right. I thought the movie and Russell Crowe were Oscar-worthy. I don't get why some people hate Ron Howard's films. There was spontaneous applause from the audience as the credits rolled. Yes it's a mainstream film that's carefully crafted to elicit an emotional response and Oscar nominations, but what's wrong with that sometimes?

------------------
- dave
Avoid the meadow...

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw it. IIRC, the number of insulin shock treatments was higher than was usually given. Good film, but I don't think this is a forum that will get a lot of comments on it.

Presentation was quite good at the theatre we attended.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2002 12:15 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i must agree, i thought it was a great film. The acting was great, as was the directing. The movie stayed focused well on the story. can't wait til it comes out on dvd already.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2002 07:33 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Attendance: Village Balywyn Cinema Friday 8 March 2002 6.40 P.M. session. Presentation: Great. Audience: Full

To describe this film as a film about schizophrenia or about a man's life living with a disability is probably incorrect. Rather to be more correct it is an inspiring film about one woman's love and faith in her husband in the face of enormous odds.

It is a very good film and deservedly should win an oscar or two.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: