Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » I Am Sam (comment, not a review)

Author Topic: I Am Sam (comment, not a review)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-14-2002 05:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen the trailer. The trailer tells me this is a feel-good movie starring Sean Penn playing an adult with the IQ of a 7-year-old (the term used in the trailer is "retard"). Am I the only person who reacts to this trailer with an involuntary urge to run out of the theatre? Why why why this movie? I can't get past thinking "That's just Sean Penn playing a [retard]". That's all I can see on the screen.

Just had to get this off my chest. I have nothing against feel-good movies. But I draw the line at Sean Penn playing, well, you know...

------------------
- dave
Crab juice, or Mountain Dew?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the movie looks awesome! And that's all I have to say about that....

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-15-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me. But I recoiled in horror the first time I saw that trailer: "Must Avoid!" alarms went off. Patch Adams was another one I steered clear of. Maybe I'm not being rational about it.

I liked A Beautiful Mind though. Proof I am not completely immune to the genre I guess. I liked Rainman too.

------------------
- dave

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2002 08:22 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it already, and while it was mostly Sean Penn playing a retard. It was an ok movie with some funny parts (mainly at the expense of Sam and his "retard" friends). Funny that they never say mentally impaired just retard. The good thing about it is not once did I think Sean Penn was Sean Penn, he was always Sam. A little long, great soundtrack, and one glaring question is that if he can't raise Lucy after seven (he can't even make coffee), how the heck did he raise her and change her diapers and make her food?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2002 11:48 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did he have a kid?!?

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to put up with the trailer in front of Heist. Ugh!

"Play a retard, win an Oscar". That's the exact purpose of the movie and it's given away in the trailer. Unfortunately the stadium theater in my area dropped Gosford Park to get I Am Sam.

The UA East Hampton said "no" to this crap and is getting Brotherhood of the Wolf instead.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-25-2002 11:52 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel a little "vindicated" by Roger Ebert's review. He said something to the effect of "playing a retard is easy". The whole premise of the movie makes me gag. I can't help it.

------------------
- dave

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2002 02:10 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know,

I think Ebert's opinions are over-rated anyway, and this helps further my point. Allow me to explain...

The portrayal of a character with a mental deficiency (or retardation) can NOT be easy, unless, of course, Ebert is acting as well. Anyway, I, myself, do not care for Sean Penn, but as I screened this print, all I could see is helpless Sam and the adversities he, or ANY handicapped person MUST go thru daily. Dakota Fanning (Lucy) had a wonderful role as well, and I look forward to seeing her develop into another great actress of the future. Penn kept in charcter the entire film and kept me, the viewer, emotionally attached to every event that unfolded.

I find that this film, like 'The Other Sister' with Juliette Lewis & Giovanni Ribisi, has given me another outlook on Penn's acting ability. I, personally, think that acting of this nature is far more difficult that the traditional characters that most actors/actress' are involved with.

This is, in my opinion, one of the better films I have seen in quite some time. It has true to life qualities that are far removed from the 'normal' films onscreen today. I don't expect him to receive any nominations for this role, altho I think his name should be thrown into the pot.

My single fault with this film is the ending. But, in the directors eyes, I suppose the viewer is MEANT to wonder what actually happened after all is/was said/done.

All in all, a wonderful film that I am encouraging patrons to see.

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Play a retard win an Oscar" That reminds me of Eddie Murphy's movie star character from "BowFinger" where he says something to the effect that a black man can only win an award for playing either a retard or a slave. So he wants to play a "retarted slave" someone find him that role. I thought that was the funnest line in the movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: