Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Imposter

Author Topic: Imposter
Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2002 03:01 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had I remembered that the trailer first ran more than a year ago, I might have been able to spare myself. But since I didn't think of it until AFTER I saw the movie, the most humane thing I can do is spare those of you who have not seen the film.

DO NOT GO SEE IT!

Nothing of any value can come of it! I checked my watch five minutes into it, and several times after. I actually closed my eyes because I was tired and this was a late screening. The only reason I did not fall asleep was because the chairs weren't comfortable enough. And the only reason I did not leave the theatre was because I was too tired to get up. Yes. I was trapped into watching a very bad movie. It is sci-fi at its blandest.

And there was another somewhat smaller reason for staying. I was mildly curious to see what a Centaurian looked like. I'm not even going to put a spoiler warning on this as it would only spoil the fact you're going to be disappointed anyway, and you should really save yourself from seeing this film (even if you're a theatre employee going on a brake). You do NOT get to see any ALIENS! Not one stupid creature CGIed or other! Nothing! There. Now I can sleep somewhat better knowing I have warned you.

I also regret that I didn't post this yesterday and am probably too late now to save some of you. But for those reading this who haven't seen it yet and plan to, you really should do something else.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-04-2002 04:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to what Dwayne said. Also, Hollywood needs to stop letting 12 year old kids hooked on music videos direct their movies. Now in all honestly I don't know anything about this particular director (or his name, although I REALLY need to look it up so I can avoid his future work), but it certainly rivaled some of the "movies" I've seen young kids make with daddy's video cameras. The fight scenes are pathetic. Nothing but fast cutting, super close ups and sound effects of fighting. Of course you can't tell who is hitting who, but you also won't care. The acting is bad (and that's most certainly NOT Gary Sinise's fault), the cinematography is poor and the sound is bland. It's not even in scope, which gives it the effect of watching a kid's video movie even more. This is just a horrible movie filled with every technical and story cliche possible. One year of collecting dust on the shelf just wasn't enough time.

Clearly "the imposter" here is an appropriate title, for this "movie" is not really a movie, it's crap on film. Avoid at all costs.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 05:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the worst movie I've seen in years. Were it not for the big-name stars and expensive looking effects shots, I would have thought it to be some extremely amateurish student film. Wait, no -- that's an insult to amateurish student films.

On the other hand, the print I saw looked very nice. Sharp, good registration, excellent color and contrast. I love the look of films printed on Fuji stock (no offense to John Pytlak! ) Too bad this film had such horrible cinematography.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 09:35 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, and I liked it. The ending was interesting too! For the record, tickets sales have been very good for it at our theatre. Last night it took in more than Vanilla Sky and Ali combined. The movie reviews may have ripped on it, but the public seems to enjoy it. But then, they claim ALI is a piece of art. That film is a bore. No one would have financed its production without Will Smith in it. He is the worse choice for the role.Hell, Bill Cosby looks more like Ali! Nothing worse that a 156 minute documentary.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2002 01:18 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The public seems to ENJOY this thing? I'm sorry. I'm not buying that one.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2002 01:34 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if all of the people in our smallest house enjoyed it.
This movie is really packing them in...the reels back into the cans next week that is.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-13-2002 11:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you said:
quote:
...the sound is bland
Yikes! Now I know why you questioned my sanity. Whatever else may be wrong with this movie, the sound mix wasn't on that list! I thought the sound was extremely good. It was as dynamic and involving as anything I've experienced since, uh, probably Vanilla Sky. I'm very puzzled at how we can have such different reactions. And I saw it in one of the smallest houses at the local Cinemark, which further surprised me because the sound was MUCH better than any other screen there (in my experience).

I'm not crazy, honest.

------------------
- dave
Crab juice, or Mountain Dew?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVED the film. The ending kicked ass. And Gary Sinise is always awesome. I don't care if we never saw an ailien. I wasn't expecting to, and that's not what I was there for.

So why did it sit on the shelf for a year?

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-14-2002 11:13 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I liked it too. It was a decent sci-fi bargain matinee show for me. I do wonder though if it was some kind of "vanity production" for Gary Sinise -- studio says "We'll let you make your little movie, and in return you give us 3 movies of our choosing", something like that. Sinise was involved with the production of Impostor if I'm not mistaken...

------------------
- dave
Crab juice, or Mountain Dew?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! Glad I'm not the only one

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 01-20-2002 01:56 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen it but I do have a comment. Our friday night 10:00 (the only time slot we are running it in) sold 1 ticket....1 TICKET!!!!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which begs the question: If you sell NO tickets, do you run the show anyway? I'm guessing you pretty much have to in case someone arrives 15 mins. late but still in time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: