Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » VANILLA SKY

Author Topic: VANILLA SKY
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 02:08 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much better than I expected.
This is one of those cases where the trailer does not give away the entire plot.
In fact, the trailer didn't give away half of it.
It looks like just some cheating meets revenge love triangle boring movie, but theres a lot more to it.
There were part of it that seemed like a David Lynch rip-off, and the end had sort of an A.I. feeling.
I dont want to give away too much here, so I'll just stop here.
But I did enjoy it, although the first half wasnt that great.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE NOT SEEN IT, THE REST OF THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS.

For those of you who have seen it, I'd like your input on this.

Someone in another discussion group I'm in came up with the following interpretation of the film's resolution:

The idea is that there actually was no Lucid Dream.
The whole story takes place in the present, except for the part where he calls on tech support, and he is told that he is now 150 years into the Lucid Dream, and he bought into the Lucid Dream in the present day.
Everything leading up to the Lucid Dream could actually happen in reality, and there is no way possible that something like the Lucid Dream could happen in today's world.
Early in the film, He mentions that you remember nothing from a coma, which suggests that he was in a coma at some point.
Obviously, the coma would start at the time of the car crash.
Everything else after that with the mask, the surgery, the passing out in the middle of the street, etc., actually hapened in his coma, and when he jumps pf the biulding at the end is actually when he wakes up from the coma and you hear the voice of Penelope Cruz telling him to wake up and open his eyes.
This would make sense and give a more reasonable explanation for the mixing up of the Cameron Diaz/Penelope Cruz characters.

Any further ideas?

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: