Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Lord of the Rings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 03:57 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an outsider - I did not read the Tolkien books - and therefore i was punished: The Ring will not in any way let You inside, if You're not one of the chosen...

Big, noisy, violent 70 feet Play Station, giving the outsider nothing but fights and an endless struggle to remember names - so many names mentioned only so few times, that the non-book-addict has no chance at all to remember them.

And then 35mm on 70 feet - with lots of wide angle shots - that's tuff !

Positive: The most impressing soundtrack, i've ever heard - even though, local THX didn't prevent distortion when things really got goin'. -Those back-channel boxes were just about turning wrong side out, -and i don't believe, they ought to....

On my right side: 3 grown-up readers voted thumbs up
On my left: Both youngsters and growns - no books behind them - just the film, felt like me.

Much to much hype for a big budget splatter thing, that may flop or go right over the hill - I can't say. -But i'm looking foreward to hear myu audience next wednesday morning. -Everything is sold out and has been so for long - and they are all riding the hype, for sure...

Let's just hope !

Per

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-21-2001 06:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't anyone seen this movie? Or is it just not significant enough to solicit opinions from anybody?

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2001 11:59 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering that myself. So I guess I'll be the second one to comment. I really liked the movie. Definitely worth killing three hours of your time in my opinion. In fact, and I'm probably in the minority here, I thought it was better than the book.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-22-2001 03:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Joe you want comments, here you go!

I liked it.

Pretty indepth review, eh? The impressive part about that one line review is that I normally do not like fantasy films. In fact, I do believe this is the first fantasy film I have ever liked. I also have never read the book, but had no real problem following the film (although I did have to nudge Dwayne who has read the book a couple of times to ask for a clarification on something). The sound was definitely very good. I did not get to hear it in EX, so unfortunately I cannot comment about that aspect of the mix, but someone did indeed do a nice job overall.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-22-2001 11:35 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Brad, I usually don't like fantasy movies. But I think I enjoyed this one.

*spoiler ahead* I haven't read the book, so I was kinda pissed when it just ended without resolving anything, but I'm over it now.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2001 09:53 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But that's why there's two more

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-24-2001 05:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The move was pretty good, but not great. But that is because the movie was made to appease fans of the book, not necessarily to be a good movie on its own. I have not read the book nor do I ever plan to. Fans of the book already know the characters. But people like me do not. I kept mixing up the names Gandolf and Golem. The editing was rough and often had me asking "what da hell?" I didn't see any reason for that glowing white woman played by Cate Blanchette to be in the movie. But I guess it helps for the next movies. I bet that she doesn't get much sleep since she glows in the dark and would constantly be distracted by the bright light no matter what she does. Her effects when she turned evil looked awful. I was bored in the middle of the movie, and I never really came to care about any of the characters. The only character who seemed to have personality was one of the goatee dudes (the one that didn't die). Also I think they tried to incorporate too many "humorous quips" into the characters dialog. Also, it was predictable... "we're still in the Shire what could possibly happen?" Gee. What happens when ANYONE in ANY movie asks a question like that? Something happens immediately upon completion of the question. That gag needs to be retired.

The sound was mixed very well and some of the scenes were definitely cool looking. I loved the evil horsemen. I also liked all the other evil stuff except for the fake giant that attacked them (before the fire dude guy). He was defeated by computer animated people! I didn't feel like I was in the theater for 3 hours (except during the trailers) so I guess that's pretty good.

Was it just me, or was Elijia Wood's neck thicker than his head?

Christopher Santapaola
Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2001 02:56 PM      Profile for Christopher Santapaola   Email Christopher Santapaola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where was Tom and old man Willow?

Excellent movie but I wish there were more details from the novel. The characters were just about how I had envisioned them in my head but they seemed a little to random.

I would have liked to have seen more of the black forest and of the shire and some more depth to the culture of the Hobbits but this was just about as good as I think they could have done and kept the movie under 3 1/2 hours...

Total rating 9 of 10.

------------------
-Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that walks, and struts its hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-25-2001 05:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only give the "From the booth" view with emphasis at the reel changes.

I am/was an avid reader of the Hobbit books so I knew the characters and the story.

As to the comment of where Tom (Bombadil) was (and the entities residing on that part of Middle Earth)...I can understand the cut in that one...it didn't help with telling the story and would have made the film longer without helping one understand the characters. As the others have noted, there are enough "new" people to learn without adding those that don't contribute to the "Fellowship"

With any fantasy book, what we all envision the characters and places look like are largely made up in our minds based on the descriptions in the book(s). As such we all will envsion different things. To that end, I think they did an EXCELLENT job...the characters and places look right and add or possibly change in a favorable way what I had envisioned.

I generally dislike narrators in movies and LOTR has one that mainly gets the newbie going. I can live with that though I see the newbie's frustrations in having to have a crash course in the world of Middle Earth and being confused.

One inexcusible failure is the lack of time line. We start out with Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday (111) and we have a picture of Bilbo and how he looks. Unless I missed it, there was no mention that Frodo's adventure begins some 17 years later! The problem I have with this is that Frodo looks like he hasn't aged (an insider would attribute this to the power of the ring) but when we meet Bilbo again in Rivendale, he looks significantly older! In the film, these events seem to be within a week or so of each other, certainly not years. First Bilbo leaves, then Frodo leaves. The only clue to the amount of time is Bilbo's aging.

Other than that, I would have actually like the film to be longer (and hopefully it will be in the DVD's Collector's edition) since one who loves the books will want yet more detail and the film seems to try and capture as much detail as time will allow.

As to the film's ending, it is much the same as the book...at the dessolution of the "Fellowship" the book ends. The next two parts will become much more complicated since we have several small groups doing different things that we must keep track.

I can tell you outsiders right now that the next episode "The Two Towers" will have less of an "ending" than this one. The only ending can possibly come after the third installment "The Return of the King" I think of the story as really 6-parts with each book as two parts. The ending isn't until the end of the 6th part. Figuring that it will take about 9 hours to tell the story...it would be a bit long for one sitting! Fortunately, the middle section "The Two Towers" is the shortest and probably the most boring for some and the most complicated for others.

I am surprised that they didn't try making THE HOBBIT first to see if the market was there (and it would have been). The Hobbit does a great job of setting up the feel of Middle Earth and is a complete story unto itself.

From what I have seen.... 4 out of 5 stars.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-25-2001 09:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much can they fit on a single side of a DVD without sacrificing normal quality? I ask because this movie is 3 hours long and to add more scenes would take its toll on the compression quality, I am betting. Maybe Evans can answer this one.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-25-2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have purchased several DVDs now that have multiple discs. There are also the high-end discs available on some titles where the compression is kept WAY down to improve picture quality. Ebert even did a review of these. Coming from the Laserdisc era, disc swapping/flipping was never that big an issue. With a DVD, by the time the disc needs to be attended to, I'm sure a potty break will be in order.

Steve

------------------

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-26-2001 10:35 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed that the ring was keeping Bilbo young and when he left it behind he immediately began to age at an accelerated rate.

As for the DVD flipping/swapping, I watched Pearl Harbor last night and not only was the disc swap in just the right place (Roosevelt asks congress to declare war on Japan), but a nice intermission slide faded up instead of the usual "insert disc two" screen. It was the best part of the movie.

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2001 02:06 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Fantasy, just recently started the trilogy, and am seriously in love with this movie. Sure there are some things the director had to leave out or you'd prolly be looking at a 20 reel print (exaggeration). My rating is 9.9 out of 10.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-26-2001 09:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

A reasonable assumption on your part. However, Bilbo just started to age naturally after the ring left him. The ring doesn't stop aging, just slows it down based upon usage. Since Bilbo didn't use the ring much (that we are aware of) he had only some age slow-down. Unlike other creatures that gained hundreds of years.

Steve

------------------

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 12:56 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've finally taken the family to see this film, was not able to go to the cinema of my choice as it had sold out ,so off to my favourite Plex "Westgate Village 8" running in 3 auditoriums ,well I was impressed with the presentation (someone has spent some time here)did not notice too many splices and change over que marks (started looking for them)only noticed a jump once and a while ,still no que marks visible ?my children enjoyed it (though a little scary here & there)my wife hands to her mouth most of the time ,it was quite full on and not too many breathing spaces (or times to relax)abit like the Matrix as you had to concentrate on what was going on, I was waiting for Elf Man (I don't know his name) to say Mr Anderson ,as he used the same voice as in Matrix,looking forward to the second installment,but cheers to the presentation focus spot on (across the whole screen) Light even and bright ,sound DTS was just right .Film Done Right.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: