Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-16-2001 12:46 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great film!

You get dropped into the story a bit quickly and some of the secondary characters don't get developed very well, but for the most part, you needn't have read the book to follow the story. I saw this with several other people and I was the only one who had read the book.

I think, though, that some of the younger viewers may find a few of the scenes kind of disturbing.

|  IP: Logged

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2001 05:39 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not-So-Great
I expected more. I am a "Virgin" to the Harry Potter phenomenon, having not read any of the books. I thought the special effects were done very well. I thought the scenery was beautiful. It was too long though. They spent too much time showing us scenery. I tried to think of this in terms of being a youngster, and I think I would get bored with it. I was bored myself, and I like to think my attention span extends beyond that of a child. (I could be wrong)
Too much hype, not enough action. 6/10 from little ol' me.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the few films that remains faithful to the book. Special effects are terrific and a soundtrack to match. Brilliantly cast, and the kids were great. Take a bow, Mr. Columbus, you're right on the money (no pun intended)! I was impressed. You can expect a lot of repeat business with this film. It's going to have great legs.

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a bit a controversy about print/image quality.

Personally, I feel that everything that appears on the screen is deliberate. The film has a wonderful, one-off, warm, magical feeling which is captivating audiences.

I saw this two and a half hour movie with loads of kids, some of them very small, and they were good as gold laughing and shrieking in all the right places.

All credit to DoP John Seale and his team, also the labs and the print graders.

"It's always better on the big screen".

Frank.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-17-2001 09:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I watch the crowds come and go, I give it three weeks (maybe 4) and it'll be ready for the scrap pile.

Paul

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-18-2001 12:28 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie alot. As an adult, I didn't think it was too long, it just seemed to fly by. As for too much scenery, I didn't think so...it was supposed to be like that, just part of the magic. I have never read the book but this movie did push me to go buy the second.

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2001 10:22 AM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a multi-part review; a review of the movie , the presentation and the staff, all the things that combine to make a great "movie experience".
I saw "Harry" on Saturday at Loew's Waterfront in Pittsburgh. My 11 year old daughter and I attended a fund raiser for a local children's center, they sold 500 tickets, basically bought out 3 screens. All attending in our auditorium really enjoyed the film, great responses , laughter and gasps in all the right spots, wild applause at the end. I had a great time at this movie, very well done special effects. I knew what to expect since we have read all 4 books with my daughter.
Presentation.... well not too impressive. I know that stadium seating makes some seats really poor, but we sat almost dead center on mid level, and the screen was still out of focus for us. Really bad splicing at all reel changes, very sharp jumps. And bright yellow/white breaks at other splices. Sound was so-so, some bad spots in the "surround" during the "quidditch" match.
The staff at Loew's was really on the ball! Great service, they ran themselves ragged keeping up with the fund raiser event. The large side lobby was reserved for us,all 500 of us, mainly children in costume! The children's center brought in magicians, owls from the Aviary, snakes and other small animals from the zoo, as well as having tables loaded with cookies, muffins coffee, etc... Loews staff handled all the serving with graciousness, friendliness and a very positive staff attitude. Great teamwork, they all deserve a very big pat on the back and whatever Loews does to "reward" or thank their employees and manangers.

Christopher Santapaola
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 05:23 PM      Profile for Christopher Santapaola   Email Christopher Santapaola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the first two books in the series so far and being more than half way through the third I can say that the pure loyalty to the plot and the honor of the work makes this film worth seeing alone. Beyond that the story is excellent and shown well. The scenes in the film are just as I had envisioned them to be, I loved the whole thing. Probably the best movie this year, the only comparible movie this year was Shrek and in my opinion Harry Potter by far out did Shrek.

On a side note there was a few scenes cut out of the story such as other Quittich matches that would have added even more flavor but then who knows, it probably would not have fit on the platter.

------------------
-Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that walks, and struts its hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2001 05:47 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this movie. What makes the Harry Potter books enjoyable is the time Harry, Ron, and Hermione spend together (especially the arguments Ron and Hermione get into) and they captured that perfectly in the film. All three of those kids were cast extremely well and cute as can be. I was a little disappointed that Peeves the Poltergeist didn't make an appearance or two (he may very well have in the First Banquet, but I'm talking about his having interaction with the kids), but with a two and a half hour long run time what can you do. Alan Rickman didn't have much to do as Potions Master Snape but he does it well and is sure to be better as the rest of the Potter series is translated onto the big screen.

I didn't think the effects were too swinging although I did think there were some really cool moves in the Quidditch match. The CGIed creatures looked pretty stupid, of course the kids won't mind. But the sets and the scenery were gorgeous. And John Williams' music makes the settings all the more magical. I'll admit I was nervous that Chris Columbus was doing this movie, but he actually restrains his normal hectic and ridiculous situational comedy making it his best film to date. I'm so glad it wasn't Home Alone in a castle. Check it out.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2001 11:17 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i didn't read the book, but i heard it stuck to the book pretty well. As far as the movie itself, kinda dragged out. If only they could have condensed it into 2 hours at most. It seemed to go on and on...But, it was well made.

------------------
...My brain's always wrapped...

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 06:49 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the nice plex in
the next town last night to see Harry Potter. They were having a slow
evening compared to the last weekend or the next. It looked like the carpet
had been marinated in soda pop and shoe grunge. If you hadn't figured it out
from the papers, Harry Potter took off like no film in history. It shattered
every existing record in the first weekend save one. Now all it has to do is
make $600 million worldwide to topple Titanic for the all time lead. (A
difficult road, that most prognosticators say won't happen.)

So how did I like Harry Potter? I liked it but didn't love it. I thought
they did a fine job to excellent job of recreating the book for the screen.
But I like the density of the books better. I don't think the film robs one
of anything. The actors they use for every character were well chosen. But
the children do present a problem. The one they chose for Ron was perfect.
The actor they chose for Harry was just a bit flat and the actress they
chose for Hermione was just a bit too beautiful. The special effects were
good in that sort of Steven Spielberg/George Lucas sort of way but I found
them to be non important. The story is about the interactions between the
characters.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 08:50 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Large Ian pegged it. Well crafted, true to the book, entertaining, but lacking in magic of its own. If there ever was a tight book adaptation, this is it.

We went to a local Regal to see it, just because the showtime fit for us. The theatre was in shell-shock. Tickets were being sold inside at the pick-up desk, the concession stand looked like it had been wiped out of food, and it was obvious that second line staff were working. The auditorium stank, the five ads and five previews were tedious, but the film was presented well and the rugrats in attendance were totally silent during the entire film.
There were less than 20 people in the audience, but I'm sure it will do good turkey day business.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 09:50 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the newscasts are showing the lineups of parents with VERY YOUNG kids awaiting the show. Now I haven't seen it, or read the book, but for those who have, is the movie really scary for kids?
What age do you suppose the "cut-off" is???

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 05:11 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter: hhhmmmmmm.

I loved the photography and direction. Not having read the book I was very happy with the way they unfold the story. I don't think they hyped the stone enough, It didn't make me care enough if the stone was protedted or not. That aside I believe they made a blockbuster of a film. Did anyone notice how particular the print was, or how unobtrusive the reel changes were, absolutly the best 2 prints I've built up this year. It almost made me think the distributors cared.

I give it 4 stars for fun.

------------------
I believe comic heroes walk the earth

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 09:52 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Regal River Oaks Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, 2001/11/23 19:20, Auditorium 6 (DTS, 40 foot screen in scope mode)

I waited a week after opening weekend to see this movie because I felt I would enjoy it the most seeing it in this particular auditorium of this particular theatre, in a somewhat less crowded atmosphere. Even during the second week, there were approximately 150 people in this showing, with the other smaller auditorium selling out.

I was well-pleased with the movie, and highly recommend it. I don't really understand why some people are making such a fuss over the wizardry that is the subject matter. I am a Christian and seeing this movie is not going to change my ideas and opinions about reality. People are forgetting that FICTION does not have to be related to reality. It's just a STORY, which is fictitious, and people should just see it as such, just as the monsters in Monsters, Inc. Why aren't the people making controversy over Harry Potter making a fuss over the monsters? Silly, isn't it.

Harry Potter had many great special effects. Of course, nearly all movies have computer-generated special effects of some sort. Having never read the "Harry Potter" book, I cannot comment on the movie vs. the book. The movie seemed a bit long to me, but I never got bored or impatient while watching.

Someone earlier asked about scenes that scared the kids. I remember the kids in the audience being disturbed the most by these three scenes:

1. In the restricted section of the library, the opening of one book revealed a screaming face that jumped out of the page.

2. The three-headed dog on top of the trap door attacking the kids

3. The snake-like vines the kids encountered after falling through the trap door.

The presentation was perfect. (Film done right). Regal River Oaks is the best place to find out how good 35mm film can look when presented well. In contrast to what some of you experienced at other theatres, even with crowds showing up, this theatre was very clean, both in the lobby and auditorium.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: