Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Monsters, Inc. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Monsters, Inc.
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 09:19 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great premise, and the "Pixar formula" of a movie that's both entertaining for the kids and adults (in fact, a third to half of the crowd, to my surprise were teens to young adults with no parents). All enjoyed, many laughs, not too scary for kids, no sexual innuendo in the "adult jokes". Audience clapped at the end, as they did for the nifty short subject "For the birds" at the start. Pixar also ressurrects the sort of "50's - 60's hepcat jazz animation style" for the Title and End Credits which I think you'll enjoy. I think it'll do well. Wait all you want, no "out-takes" as has been the M.O. for Pixar, suppose they'll try to sell the DVD with them (Boo!). See if you can spot "Woody" in his cameo. Lots of star voices, this film should do very well.....

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2001 12:03 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, just wait till Christmas, Im sure well get our outtakes then.
If I remember correctly, Toy Story 2 didn't have any outtakes originally, but were added for Christmas.

I wonder how many of those teenagers and young adults were motivated to see Monsters by the Star Wars trailer, but then decided that the movie looked good enought to stay for.

I wouldnt be suprised, however, if they did choose the movie for the movie alone, as I have three roommates who wanted to see it even before there was mention of a Star Wars trailer.

Also, I only got one call today asking if the trailer was playing with all five prints, so who knows?

By the way, one of the shows I walked in on had people cheering for the E.T., Return to Neverland, and Star Wars trailers.
I wonder how many people will be cheering for E.T. when they find out the guns were removed.
All the people I've mentioned that too had "Well, thats retarded" looks on their faces when I told them.
I wonder how much of the general public will care?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I remember correctly, Toy Story 2 didn't have any outtakes originally, but were added for Christmas.

Not quite right...the original movie did have outtakes, then a "new" reel of outtakes were substituted a few weeks in.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2001 06:52 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the whole "new reel of outtakes" was just a scam to get people back in to the theaters for a second time.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-03-2001 08:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did the 'new blooper reel' trick for 'A Bug's Life' as well.

-Aaron

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2001 12:11 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i thought it was pretty good, i can see why almost every show on friday and saturday came close to selling out. Here also, many people clapped at the end.

------------------
...My brain's always wrapped...

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2001 02:24 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<I think the whole "new reel of outtakes" was just a scam to get people back in to the theaters for a second time.>>

of course it was....duh!

just kidding.
i never looked at the numbers or payed attention to the crowds, but did anyone notice if it worked?

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2001 04:44 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie last week, and i really enjoyed it. I had the theater all to myself, too(I was screening it before it opened). It was funny, and much better than I had expected. The jokes were funny and the acting was good. And, that short at the beginning, that was hilarious.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-05-2001 01:45 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it too, it was much better then I thought it would be! Although, I must say that I actually liked the short "For the Birds" better then the actual movie.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 09:17 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, 2001/11/02, 16:40 Auditorium 18

I really liked the movie. Being a computer scientist, I appreciate the work that went into making it. The movie seemed aimed more toward kids, but it was still a very enjoyable movie, and I look forward to seeing again, because it's one of those movies where there are so many details to look for.

I'd recommend going to a later showing (9:00 or after) to maximize the enjoyment of this movie. There are a lot of kids seeing this movie. There were a bunch of restless young kids and crying babies in the showing I attended, which totally ruined some scenes. When the "For the Birds" short was playing, people were still coming in and walking in front of me, making it difficult to enjoy it. I'll definitely give the movie another viewing in a 9:00 or later showing on a much less crowded weeknight.

The presentation quality was excellent. For a normal audience, the sound level would probably have been OK, but with all those kids in there, it needed to be louder. I guess they were afraid running it up more would have made kids cry and act up more. I was sitting 30 feet from a 30-foot screen (in flat mode) and I had to struggle to hear some parts.

I highly recommend this movie, especially if you're primarily a grown-up kid like I am.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the cameo was Jessie, not Woody.

There is also another one, but I won't mention it now.

Paul

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this picture. Absolutely delightful.

One of the best rules I have ever heard of what makes a picture successful is something I heard many years from Siskel and Ebert...way back in the PBS days. They proposed that for a movie to be successful, you must care about the characters.

I saw THE ONE on Saturday. I didn't really care about anyone. I fell asleep.

I really cared for Sully and Mike in this movie. I liked them, and I wanted them to succeed and be happy.

Lots of "wow" in the animation. Some amazing detail on the main characters...I caught some very subtle movements on Mike's eyelid that really gave him life.

Hard to rate this. Not as good as TOY STORY II, but better than BUG'S LIFE. About on par with TOY STORY.

I liked it MUCH better than SHREK...SHREK felt, to me, like it was written by a committee (OK...we'll have a joke here, a touching moment here...how about a song here.) It felt a bit too corporate.

John Hazelton
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for John Hazelton   Author's Homepage   Email John Hazelton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James R. Hammonds, Jr writes:

quote:
Oh, just wait till Christmas, Im sure well get our outtakes then. If I remember correctly, Toy Story 2 didn't have any outtakes originally, but were added for Christmas.

Mike Blakesley replied:

quote:
Not quite right...the original movie did have outtakes, then a "new" reel of outtakes were substituted a few weeks in.

Actually, James is correct. A quick check with the IMDB confirms my memory on this. "Toy Story 2" came out originally with no outtakes, and then they were added on December 25th.

"A Bug's Life" had outtakes from the start, and a new set were released December 18th.

If Pixar follows this pattern, I expect to see outtakes on "Monsters, Inc." in a month or so. It's almost a trademark thing now.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-24-2001 08:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two thumbs up. This is a fun film that actually lives up to the trailer and publicity. I'm not exactly in the target demographic (25-year-old single male), but I had a great time.

I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned the great mix. I heard it in SR in a THX house and thought it sounded terrific. I assume it would be even better in digital with EX (comments from those who have heard it in that format?).

There are some nice bits of subtle humor here, too. Did anyone else notice the monster who was carrying both a watermelon and a sledgehammer? (What's the name of the guy who does that comedy routine, anyway?) There are a few other bits that I don't remember right now, too.

Would we expect anything else from Pixar, though?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-25-2001 12:23 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Gallagher. And the routine is the "Sledge-O-Matic". Now I must see this film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: