Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Thirteen Ghosts

Author Topic: Thirteen Ghosts
Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-25-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was excellent! With the horror movies that have been coming out lately I wasn't looking forward to that much. The story line was great...the only down side was as the movie went on, the more soft it got. At the beginning I sat there scared as hell and thought to myself, "If this is the beginning how scary is this flick gonna get". Too bad thats not the case.

I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars!

|  IP: Logged

Kristin Wahlund
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2001 12:05 AM      Profile for Kristin Wahlund   Email Kristin Wahlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen this yet, but our 10:15 showing sold out. It must be good.

Christopher Santapaola
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2001 10:22 PM      Profile for Christopher Santapaola   Email Christopher Santapaola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too liked this movie. It could have ended bet most movies could. I thought the story was great and the way it opened was excelent. It was great for the first 35 - 40 percent of the movie, good to ok for the next 25 - 30 percent then wanting until the end of it. over all 4.3 stars slightly lower than rach's

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2001 09:38 AM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like this movie at all. It was boring and predictable. Every time they put on those glasses you knew they were going to see something. The only way they could scare people in this movie is to flash scary images and make loud noises that are unexpected. I'm sorry, but this movie was just plain bad. But, that is just my opinion.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2001 10:05 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon me while I go off topic for a minute...
The original "13 Ghosts" was made so that the audience had to use their own special glasses (sort of). You got a piece of cardboard with two horizontal slits cut in it. The slits had some kind of filter/film over them (probably some kind of polarizing filter). I can't remember the signal that was on the film in the corner, (maybe it was the number of the ghost you would see/not see) but when the signal was given, you could look through the top filter and see "no ghosts" or through the bottom filter and see the ghosts. It wasn't 3D or anything like that, just a "ghost/no ghost" filter. If you looked at the screen with no filter at all, it was extremely bright and pretty washed out. If I remember correctly, this was a William Castle film, who was famous for his schlocky, "audience participation" tricks. To bad they don't do this kind of stuff today

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 11-02-2001 05:27 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie in my opinion was just plain Awful! I hope that the original was not this bad. The only scary thing that this movie had in it was the scary makeup that was used to create the ghosts. The rest is awful. At least I got paid to see it.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 09:24 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i liked the idea. it had the elements of a really good film. they just blew it. i don't know if it was the directing of what, but it was just lacking. i think it COULD have been a really good movie, but it wasn't....until i read this post, i didn't know it was suppose to be scary.

------------------
...My brain's always wrapped...

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

The original 13 GHOSTS came with a Ghost Viewer. It was a cardboard holder with a blue filter and a red filter. Many people, including the authors of the box description for the DVD, think 3-D processing is involved, but this is not true.

When the ghosts appeared on the screen, the print would take on a bluish tint. The ghosts were in red. The blue filter blocks the red image, so you do not see the ghosts. The red filter allows the red light to pass, so you see the ghosts.

Very clever, and one of the better gimmicks.

There is a little bit of ghosting that comes through, but not much. It's very effective.

I love the William Castle introductions.

Castle is best memorialized on the film MATINEE. Great performance by John Goodman. I have the laserdisc version, which has the MANT sections pulled out on a separate disk..very funny.

"Putting being an insect aside..."

"Insectacide...where, where!"

I don't think the DVD has that available...worth keeping the old 12"-er's around.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 09:13 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. It's been a long time. I must have been about 8 or so when I saw it at a kids matinee in the 50's. Pretty scary stuff at the time

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 04:03 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thir13en ghosts has just b3en r3l3as3d in 1his country on friday. I 1ought it was pr3ty much lik3 any other horror movi3. Bu1 wi1h 1he on3 3xc3p1ion. 1h3 amoun1 of gor3. Such as 1he guy who is slic3d in half by th3 glass doors. I gu3ss i1 kind of shock3d m3 in 1ha1 r3spec1.

I s1ill don't r3ally get the way 1h3 1i1l3 is lay3d ou1 by warner bros. I m3an do2s an E really look like a 3 and does a T look like a 1. Well a bit i guess.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micha3l B: Thir13en Ghosts is a Sony rel3ase ou1sid3 US/Canada.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: