Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Son's Room

Author Topic: The Son's Room
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 06:38 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

The Italian Film Festival is due to start in November here in Melbourne Australia. One film on offer is 'The Son's Room' by Italian Film Director Nanni Moretti. Apparently this film won the Palme D'Or award at this year's Cannes Film Festival.

My only experience of Moretti's work has been his 1998 film 'Aprile'. This film was a little self-indulgent but I must admit the dancing chef scenes were memorable. Our SBS TV network made a big deal about the dancing chef when they showed the movie.

Anyway I'm weighing up whether to go and see this one. I'm sure that some of the readers here will have seen a screening. Is it any good?
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/index.php?langue=6002

http://www.biziworks.com.au/sites/BiziGen?ownerID=PALACE&docID=391&removeFromCache=true

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 10:17 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen Moretti's 'Caro Diario' ('Dear Diary') and enjoyed it very much. His manner of filmmaking is direct, honest, disarming and very personal. I would gladly see any of his other films and look forward to his latest when it comes out (which, given the Cannes win, is practically guaranteed).

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 10:19 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

I must hunt around for a copy of 'Dear Diary'. You might want to check out 'Aprile' which I think is in a similar vein to your description of 'Dear Diary'. The film is largely about Moretti's experiences in having his first child. It is quite different to the sort of films Hollywood produces. Having had my first child earlier this year I can relate to Moretti's experiences.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: