Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Zoolander

Author Topic: Zoolander
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2001 03:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I sum this one up? I can do it in five words: Five reels of pure hell!

Never have I EVER seen such a horrible film. This goes way beyond bad, and I'm talking about "bad bad", not "good bad". Ed Wood made "good bad" movies. Freddy Got Fingered would be classified as a "bad bad" movie, but Zoolander is even worse than Freddy Got Fingered! What was Ben Stiller thinking???

I'm not even going to waste the effort to get into specific examples from the film or even a basic plot. This is definitely the worst film of 2001 and arguably the worst film ever.

Save yourselves and don't watch this one!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-2001 04:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worse than Freddie? Daaaaaaaaaaamn!

I refuse to see this movie anyway, but now I'm just more happy with my decision. The trailer looks stupid. The part where he's doing a backspin and supposedly is kicking the guy in the face as he does it looks incredibly fake. The legs have already spun 90º away before you see the supposed reaction. HA HA FUNNY! OK maybe not. And I don't even wanna know what's up with Will Ferrell. Is he supposed to be some sort of evil Liberace? You gotta remember that Ben Stiller directed "Cable Guy". I've never been a fan of his in any way, shape or form, though I will admit to not having seen "Meet the Parents" yet.

I'm sure Evans will love the hell out of this movie and buy all seven copies of the DVD that are pressed the nanosecond it is released.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 11:11 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. Ya, and before ya start ripping on me...listen up. Anyone, and I mean anyone that has ever had the chance to photograph models will truly love this film. Obviously, you have never done this, but I have many times. I cracked up with all the crazy poses, the walk. makeup stuff, etc. There have been many times that I have had to stop myself from laughing when photographing models. Stiller has captured this on film. Yes, you may think that the movie was dumb, but being in the industry I see it differently. I found it funny, dry humor with lots of goofy one liners. Maybe you should sit through it again, perhaps high!!! No, I wasn't in that state of mind when viewing it last night.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-2001 05:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe you should sit through it again, perhaps high!!!

So it is recommended to be under the influence of drugs to enjoy this movie? Nah. I value my health and the functionality of my brain too much to do that. And then there are the effects of the narcotics!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 06:48 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm sure Evans will love the hell out of this movie and buy all seven copies of the DVD that are pressed the nanosecond it is released.

Well, I haven't seen it yet. I was going to see it at a 7:00-ish showing tonight, but decided not to. Now that I've read these bad reviews, it makes me so curious that I may go to a later showing tonight or see it tomorrow night. If y'all say it's that bad, it's got to be good.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2001 09:26 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Carmike Century Cinema 8, Decatur, AL Auditorium 8 2001/09/30 19:15 Scope (Super35)

OK. This movie was really dumb, and not very funny at all. There were only 3 or 4 times during this entire movie that I heard any kind of small laughter from the audience. I definitely give this one a thumbs down.

On the subject of comparing the movie to Freddy Got Fingered: Freddy Got Fingered was several orders of magnitude funnier than this. I definitely will not be buying all 7 of the DVDs of Zoolander when they come out. I doubt I'll buy one of them.

By the way, the trick of reaching in your pants and pulling your briefs out without pulling down the pants is topologically impossible, unless the guy planned ahead and had an extra pair of briefs stuck down the front of his pants, or maybe he was skilled at moving objects in the fourth dimension.

The movie was as dumb as the models in the movie were. No, I take that back. It was dumber than the models in the movie were.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2002 05:58 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Coburg Drive in Sat January 26 Screen 1 (supplementary feature to Ocean's Eleven). Skilltester toys won: See Ocean's Eleven review.

I hung around after seeing Ocean's Eleven as at Coburg you get great value - 2 films for the price of one admission.

This film reminds me a lot of Dumb and Dumber. The style of humor is pretty much the same in that it relies on "dumbness" to provide the laughs. Fortunately there's not much toilet humopr in this film.

Its not my cup of tea but some of the gags did work and the film did try to satirise what is obviously a fairly vacuous industry. Curiously I watched Pret-a- Porter again just last week and that helped put this film in some context. I found the concept of male models being ideal hitmen quite inventive.

Its a pretty dumb film but it did keep me entertained. Its worth a look but not much more.

Verdict: 6 stars out of 10.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: