Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Amelie from Montmarte (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Amelie from Montmarte
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 09:40 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
French title: (Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain)
http://www.amelie-lefilm.com/english/intro.htm

Hi all

This isn't a film review per se but rather a request to ask if anyone has seen this film and what did they think of it?

This is another film by Jean-Pierre Jeunet who with Marc Caro, made Delicatessan and City of Lost Children.

In France this film was watched by 7 Million French theatre goers in the first 10 weeks. It is number 35 on the highest openers list for France
http://www.moviemarshal.com/openfran.html

The following site has a number of stills from the film.
http://bzine.bscene.com.au/entertainment/reviews/a/ameliefrommontmartre.html

In Australia we will not see this film until December 26. I would be grateful to hear a review from someone who has been able to see teh film overseas. It looks like a must see movie.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 11:00 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

I made a start on making up a print of 'Amelie' (as it came labelled) just a few hours ago. It is for a manager's screening on Monday.

Although I am a huge fan of French cinema, I am not entirely wrapped in Jeunet et Caro. I am much more enthusiastic about the upcoming releases, 'The Closet' and especially, 'The Taste of Others'. My favourite director in the world is quite possibly Eric Rohmer - it's a pity that his films are hardly released here. His recent three-part film 'Rendezvous in Paris' was extremely delightful and as always, a little sad and poignant. I had the pleasure of running this a couple of years ago as part of a season of recent French cinema (not the more heavily publicised annual French film festival). Also part of this season was a 30-minute short film by Phillipe Harel called 'Une Visite'. It's easily the best short film I have ever seen.

Getting a bit off-topic, I know.
I will probably not be able to see it on Monday, but will let you know here if I do make it.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 04:23 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Amelie at the Telluride Film Festival, Twice. I enjoyed it and thought it was the best film of the festival. We already have it booked to open at the Rialto this December for Christmas.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 01:08 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike and Ian

I have already seen The Closet (Le Placard) at Melbourne's French film Festival earlier this year. It is a great film (see review elsewhere). it would be great if it took off in the same way that 'La Cage Aux Folles' did. <Rant mode on> Unfortunately I get very frustrated at how difficult it is to see many of the latest French Films here in Melbourne either on video or on the big screen.

For example it is nigh on impossible to find a copy of 'Taxi' at present. The Alliance Francaise has just got a copy of Taxi 2 on video but I want to see the original first. <Rant mode off>

Anyway getting back to the topic.

Here in Melbourne is anyone having a special preview screening of 'Amelie'? I and a few french student friends would be interested to see the film. If anyone is having a special or preview screening here in Melbourne please drop me a line at pberrett@optushome.com.au

Most people I have talked to have loved Jeunet and Caro's work. I haven't as yet seen Alien Resurrection though. It would be interesting to see whether the film was stylistically like the earlier Alien films or more like Jeunet & Caro's earlier films.

cheers Peter

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-30-2001 01:15 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amelie went over very well at the screening Michael refers to...(except for the three out of frame splices between the reels Michael built) and the management is trying hard to book it.

John.

PS: That crap about the out of frame splices was, by definition...crap.

------------------
Dr. Hibbert: Homer, this is your physician, Dr. Julius Hibbert. Can you tell us what it's like in there?

Homer: Um...did anyone see the movie "Tron"?
Hibbert: No.
Lisa: No.
Marge: No.
Bart: No.
Patty: No.
Ned: No.
Selma: No.
Frink: No.
Lovejoy: No.
Chief Wiggum: Yes. Er...I mean no.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2001 07:24 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was your own opinion of the film John? What rating would you give it?

I'd be interested to hear your comments about how well or otherwise Australian audiences relate to French and other foreign films. Perhaps many people just don't like subtitles. If so that is a shame.

cheers Peter

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 02:49 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested...

Here is the new American site for Amelie

http://www.amelie-themovie.com/

There is an English language trailer on site.

cheers Peter

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 04:51 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to catch this one but no theatres are showing it around here. (And I'm in L.A.) or has it been released yet in the States?

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2001 06:12 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that it is to be released in the US in November and in Australia on December 26.

cheers Peter

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2001 03:02 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was opened yesterday here in L.A. in one theatre in west L.A. I just got back from the 10 show. One of the most entertaining movies I have watched. It was great, going back again during the week to see it again. I rarely buy dvd's but I'll look foward to this one when it comes out. Probably the best movie I've seen in a long time.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2001 10:19 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am quite jealous of all of you that have had the chance to see this film. Jean Jeunet is a favorite of mine. I tried to get tickets for a screening in Chicago that he was going to be at, but I found out about the screening much too late. It'll probably be a while before it makes its way to Madison, WI.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 11-05-2001 01:49 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are getting this film next week. Although I have not seen it yet my boss did and he enjoyed it very much.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2001 09:51 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Milwaukee to see some friends and family and catch Amelie. What a great film. I think that even those normally opposed to the "romantic comedy" genre would really enjoy this one. Great cinematography, and wonderfully uses of digital effects. Audrey Tatou was wonderful. I will probably see it again if it makes its way to Madison.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened Amelie this weekend and made $9,000 this weekend.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 03:03 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$9000 - The Price is Right! (apologies to Ian for the bad pun).

Could 'Amelie' be this decade's 'La Cage Aux Folles'?

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: