Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » O

Author Topic: O
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 02:24 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this with ten other employees in our 464 seat THX auditorium with Dolby Digital. Sound was very realistic, with good use of the sub during the action scenes & with music. Technically, a well-made film.

If you're looking for a film with a happy tone, you'd better go see the Atlantis reissue. O is definitely a dark, & at some times, an evenly dramatic film.
Peiffer (that's probably not the right spelling ), playing Odin James was very good as both a bright athlete & a jealous lover (which he later turns into). Stiles, O's girlfriend, plays her role well, although it's not much of a stretch for her to play a moody teen. Harnett, although, who plays O's teammate & the coach's son, is too dark in the role of the one who plans to remove the star athlete from his father's affection. He seems overly evil and viscious compared to even the people that he uses to break up O.
The movie is a well-made adaptation of Shakespeare's Othello, but Harnett's dark performance drags the movie down further and further as it goes, eventually letting Harnett forget the fact that his jealousy is over Basketball, and lets Peiffer get too wrapped up in the love triangle that Harnett puts him in to remember that he was in it for the game at the film's beginning.

So, while the movie is a good dramatic film, I felt that it spirals into darkness too quickly, with Harnett changing the movie's tone too quickly. Go see it if you're tired of the "Hollywood Happy" movies.

|  IP: Logged

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2001 05:23 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O...or should I say..."ZERO"

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2001 12:30 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't even sit thru the whole movie, and I happen to think Josh Hartnett is a great actor...he just was not right for this role.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2001 12:00 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this one twice, once by myself, the other with my girlfriend. The first time I saw it, it was almost boring. But, the second time I watched it, it got better. Not much better, but for some reason I was more able to enjoy it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: