Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bubble Boy

Author Topic: Bubble Boy
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2001 02:15 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this not one hour ago in 262 seat THX DTS house with six other employees. Sounded great with some good use of surrounds. Technically awesome.

First of all, if you've been convinced by the TV spots, trailers, & even the attached Max Keeble trailer that this movie is for kids, YOU'RE VERY WRONG!! This may very well be one of the best comedies for teens to adults that has come along this summer. I figured that it had to be rated PG13 for a reason, and after the first reel, I had already asked (aloud) 5 times "Did I just see that?"

The movie is hilarious. The new stars in the film are all well-casted and act well together (Verne Troyer's cameo isn't a throwback to Austin Powers at all). The movie manages to create a story with scenes that will generate raucous laughter from audiences (I know it worked for the seven us us tonight!
The movie as a whole succeeds on two levels:
1. It really doesn't revert to too many comedy cliches, and creates a lot of new material.
2. After blood, guts, knives, mud, and sex, it manages to come through with a happy and somewhat wholesome ending that pleased me greatly (What's with the mom, dad, & the biker? )

So, warn parents that bring kids & grandkids to go see Princess Diaries; but see this one for yourself, it's on my top five of the summer.

|  IP: Logged

Christopher M. Belch
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2001 10:32 PM      Profile for Christopher M. Belch   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher M. Belch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer for this during the princess move (my girlfriend wanted to see it), and i thought that although the trailer said cheezy, i had this gut feeling that i wanted to see it anyway. For some odd reason it looked good. Anyway, with the help of your review, i can better justify dragging her to see it...thanks!!!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2001 12:25 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, I'm saving a second screening for one of my friends who hasn't seen it.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2001 02:44 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The papers gave this nothing but bad reviews (one gave it ZERO stars) but I thought it was hilarious! It was fun seeing the kid from "October Sky" daring to do something totally stupid. You sort of need to have seen "Boy in the Plastic Bubble" to appreciate where this movie's coming from- it's making fun of that, not real people with these sort of problems.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: