Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » American Pie 2

Author Topic: American Pie 2
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2001 05:14 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Regal Madison Square 12, Huntsville, AL, 2001/08/11 19:30, Auditorium 8

I purposely avoided reading any reviews about this movie before seeing it. One coworker mentioned that he saw a very bad review, but I decided that going in knowing nothing except what I'd seen in the trailer would be the best way to enjoy it.

My first impression is that this movie was better than the first. I definitely laughed more during the second one, and so did the audience, which, by the way, was very close to selling out in the largest auditorium at Madison Square 12, which is not as busy as it was before 1994. Judging by the amount of laughter fromt he audience, I don't think people were disappointed with the movie at all. Without a large crowd, of course, the movie might lose some of its funniness, since part of the fun is having a large crowd and seeing what people react to the most.

I was really expecting another "sex with a pie" scene, and was really surprised when one was not put into the movie somehow.

Anyway, this one of those "kill a few brain cells" comedies. (See my latest post on the review thread for "Dude, Where's My Car"). Just forget your woes, go see this, and you're bound to be in a better mood afterwards.

Presentation quality was good (scoring a 99 in my ratings system).

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 11:03 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched AP2 Friday (8/10) after closing, and I didn't feel that strongly about the film.

I felt that the movie's story stuck too closely to the ideas of the first. Every character in the movie hasn't seemed to shrug off that much sexual energy in a year, which seems peculiar (but, then again, I do know & sometimes work with a lot of people like the characters )
It did, although have some new & different comedy sequences that managed to entertain me. The 2 way (or 3 or 4 or 5 way...)radio sequence got me laughing pretty hard. (And wondering about the radios that my multiplex uses...) And the ending was a lot more open-minded about the characters' relationships than was the first.

I saw this with about thirty other employees, and they got a huge kick out of all of it. The crowds over the weekend went wild too (Sold out last 3 shows of the night on Fri. Sat. & Sun.).

Sex-crazed teenagers will love it, others will probably be able to find something in it.

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2001 11:18 AM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better than American Pie.
I laughed my HINEY off. Stiffler was sooooooo "That Guy". We all had him in our class. I think the characters are really unique from eachother, unlike most teen movies, where they are all the same. I was also really happy to see the the end relationships pan out. I don't want to give anything away, but if you know the movie, then you know what I mean...BITCH!!! (is that allowed?)

Christopher M. Belch
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2001 08:56 AM      Profile for Christopher M. Belch   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher M. Belch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, my take on ap2 is that it is a great movie!!! However, i dont think it was as good as the first. I realize that most movies are somewhat predictable (even my beloved die hard series), but ap2 seemed a little too predictable. Dont get me wrong, a great movie, very funny, and i would see it again!!!

O, and the presentation was surprisingly well, i walked out and didnt even have to complain about a scratched print or dust balls!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-15-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher, please find the [c]correct[/b] thread to post this in. This is for American Pie 2 comments only.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-15-2001 07:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, i believe he was discussing American Pie 2 (AP2), the Die Hard reference was just a comparison.

Aaron

Christopher M. Belch
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2001 02:17 AM      Profile for Christopher M. Belch   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher M. Belch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, sorry if i was unclear in my comments.. Aaron is correct, i was commenting on american pie 2, and die hard was simply a reference. I thought that ap2 was somewhat predictable, but sometimes that is ok, such as the fact that the entire die hard series is predictable, but i still love it! Ill try to make my points clearer (is clearer a word?) in the future. Sorry again!!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-16-2001 03:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I thought you were making comments on "ape", not "ap2", referring to Planet of the Apes.

Sometimes I read too fast.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-20-2001 12:08 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually watched this tonight primarily because I didn't have to pay for the privilege of doing so and also because someone I know is listed in the credits.

Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed this. As "stupid" movies go, this was pretty good and had some good moments. It wasn't as creative as the first, and we probably won't remember it in ten years, but this was pretty good for an obviously commercialized sequal. (Check out the Pepsi product placement and the annoyingly high number of "put it in the movie so we can put it on the soundtrack CD" tunes in the soundtrack.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: