Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 1998 - Que la Lumière Soit! (Let There Be Light)

Author Topic: 1998 - Que la Lumière Soit! (Let There Be Light)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 05:53 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

<rave mode on>

I missed the very beginning of this film as I only chanced upon it whilst flicking around our tv channels. We have a multicultural tv channel of very high standard called SBS here in Australia and it shows a lot of foreign films.

I shall be keeping a much closer eye on the SBS TV guide in the future because this film turned out to be an absolute gem. I urge film buffs to have a look at this film as a piece of great original comedic film-making.

Essentially the plot is that God (played by numerous actors in the film) wants to communicate his message to mankind and selects a young woman, Jeanne Archambaud, to turn his script into a film. Natually the devil shows up and tries to ruin the film.

This film is genuinely original and keeps one glued to the screen from start to finish. It is fun also to see cameos from some of France's finest comedic actors through the film. The film reminded me in some ways of another classic 'The Maestro & Marguerita' in terms of its use of religious themes for comedic use.

My only criticism is that at times the editing was just a little fast but fortunately only slightly so.
http://www.cinemaniacs.be/bifff/angl/films/1999/lumiere.htm
http://parisvoice.com/99/may/html/movie.cfm

Hélène de Fougerolles is outstanding in the lead role.

Rating: (out of 5 stars) *****

<rave mode off>

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: