Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Score

Author Topic: The Score
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-14-2001 03:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok FINALLY a good summer movie! Yes, no joke I actually liked this one and have only one negative thing to say about it, so I'll say it first. The ending is too quick. It should have been longer...like James Cameron longer! The way it ended it could have gone on for another hour and been one of those unforgettable edge of your seat/bladder damaging films. As I left the theater I was thinking of a few "additional" endings and felt a bit disappointed that the filmmakers didn't think about any (or at least didn't act on it).

Still, this is hands down the best film I've personally seen this summer. With this movie being directed by Frank Oz, I thought "well that's a bit weird" when I saw the credit, but nonetheless Frank did an excellent job on everything. Technically speaking this film looked great. Not "Moulin Rouge" great, but very well done technically. The film is in scope and I screened it in SRD. Despite the fact that the majority of the movie is only dialogue, the audio was extremely well mixed. The only thing I was not impressed with technically was the image registration of the print. The projector it was ran on is about as close to perfect as registration goes and the trailers were rock solid, but when the attached trailer and feature hit the screen, there was noticeable bob and weave. It was a Deluxe Hollywood print. Oh well, don't let that stop you from seeing this one!

|  IP: Logged

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2001 04:35 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO this movie took way too long to get anywhere. Did Angela Bassett really need to be in this movie? Her character seemed fairly pointless. I really didn't care for Brando or his character either. However Norton and DeNiro stole the show. They were great. And they actually made up for all my previous complaints. I did find it entertaining that there were a few frames that were VERY reminiscent of Fight Club.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-14-2001 04:55 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this movie yet, but the ads I saw on TV made me completely uninterested in it.

It looks like another one of those movies where the "hero" is going on one last job, the last one of his career and then he's out. Of course there is the woman there to tell him to "quit now". Of course this "last job" turns out to be way more than he bargained for. Haven't I seen this movie before a billion times? Looks very run of the mill. Bad advertising?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-14-2001 10:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Haven't I seen this movie before a billion times?"

No, it's only been done 999,999,962 times Joe. There's a few dozen more to be made with the same premise before you can say that. Still, how many of those movies with the same overall premise SUCK? Quite a lot of them if you ask me. Could this one have been better? Yes. Could it have been worse? Oh God yes! Comparing this movie to all of the other shit that has been released this summer, is it one of the most entertaining films as of late? You bet! I'd watch it again, and that is one of only two movies this year that I would bother with for a second round. (Enemy at the Gates being the other one.)

Hmmmmm, wait a minute...both of those were Paramount! Do I see a pattern here? Oh wait, they released Crocodile Dundee III. Guess I was mistaken.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-15-2001 09:09 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good film, entertaining - one in which you root for the bad guys. Sorta reminded me of "Topkapi" from the mid sixties. Should have legs, should do well at box office. I agree with Brad I can see different endings with this picture...however the way it ends would be easy to transition into a sequal or for that matter a prequal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: