Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Jurassic Park III (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Jurassic Park III
David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2001 04:55 AM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!

anyone saw it yet? heard some film managers and/or projectionnists saw it already. Some reviews start to appear, on the www.hometheaterforum.com for instance.
There's talk of a very odd abrupt ending and a running time of 90minutes only.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts if any.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-06-2001 09:16 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually i have no problem with the tightness the film is going to have. lets keep the pace going. I am worried about the abrupt ending. I wonder if this is one of those tactics that has been done befor were they are trying to keep something secret as long as they can. Maybe there is something that is supposed to be there but not there yet. I remember this being done on star trek II when they refused to show what happened to spock on thes special screenings. How bout it Brad...did you get to watch it yet. If so, what about the ending.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-2001 02:03 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the abrupt ending and short running time was due to the projectionist forgetting to put the last reel on. I can't tell you how many times I've done this! Probably because I've never done that.

David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2001 05:20 AM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
argh!

Well, seems the reviews point to 90minutes but Joe Johnston confirmed it's 94minutes. I hope the abrupt ending was done on purpose for the pre-screenings, to keep the real ending secret. www.dansjp3page.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2001 05:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely short in comparison to the first two Jurassic movies. I screened the finished film and wasn't impressed. I leave you with this indepth review:

Is it too much to ask for at least ONE good summer film this year?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JURASSIC PARK 3
How much does it take for people to fed up seeing live Dinosaurs on the big screen. JP 1 GREAT. JP 2 Not so great. JP 3 BLIAH. Personally I think that the film is tooooooooo short. I saw it today at a screening. I have to admit that this film is a bit more frightening than the others (actually a lot more) and has some more humour rather than the other movies. Some scenes are so badly rendered that u can tell it is 3D Animation like the camera flyover with the plane underneath and the whole dinosaurs bunch running. The acting (if there is such thing in this movie) is not worth discussing at all. As for the ending. YES. It does end in a kind of strange way and kinda fast for it. The script is ok and the plot is quite nice, but it is not an A rated film for a reviewer. I prefer Spielberg's fist JURASSIC PARK. It is not a film I would be dying to see in the first place anyway and it would not be my first choice in the summer blockbusters since they overshit us with this Dinosaurs. Also it is not a movie I would gladly see twice. I have to admit that there are impressive shots and new dinosaurs in this movie that have not been given so much attention in the past film.
Rated from 10, I would give a 6 to this movie. But don't have it on ur first choice in the "TOO SEE" catalog
See u guys

Demetris Thoupis

P.S: I am going to the army in my country and will not be able to post any other messages for at least a month.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-14-2001 03:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this. This probably ties Lost World in the "forgettable factor". I barely even remember Lost World and I have a feeling this one will be the same way. Was it me or did Sam Niell's voice sound waaay different in some scenes, especially when he is talking to the auditorium? Almost like a different person.

I liked it when the kid said "I liked the first one better". That was pretty amusing! Of course, it wouldn't be a Jurassic Park movie without some sort of obnoxious kid in it.

The editing sucked unwiped goat ass! There were an abundant amount of bad cuts that just threw me off. I was expecting something absolutely awesome since it is from the director of Jumanji. Oh wait... no I wasn't.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-15-2001 03:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know goats wiped. I think if I crapped pellets I would not have to wipe either! Uh, it's late. Some friends are screwing with the sound system and I need another beer.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2001 05:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Maar sent me some unsolicited photographs of goats wiping, so it must be true.

Never let friends screw YOUR sound system. Especially when beer is involved. And if you happen to have Yamaha equipment then you are in REALLY BIG TROUBLE! I'm sure you wouldn't buy Yamaha, though. Apex is much better.

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 01:01 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly enough I enjoyed this film. I cannot pin exactly what it is that I liked, but when put together it kept me entertained for the hour and a half that it was on screen. The storyline was a bit weak--and modeled Jurassic Park in some ways. The ending came out of nowhere and was disappointing to say the least. All that drama just goes nowhere—very poor editing in that respect—and then suddenly the film is over. I was annoyed how they left the plot open as well… as if there was to be yet another sequel. Perhaps they needed to stop while they were ahead. Overall I think it will do pretty good business considering its shortcomings.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 04:26 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole movie basically is three big scenes with dinosaurs. I didn't like it that much just the wow factor of the scenes. 1.5 out of 5 stars. It will make money though the crowds at my theatre gobble movies like this up.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 05:52 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When reel 5 started I got scared that I'd put the reels in the wrong order, but I remembered it was the last reel so that's how it was supposed to be. PLEASE, NO MORE SEQUELS!

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2001 10:29 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a running time of 92 minutes, I didn't expect this to be a long, drawn-out clunker of a film, I was right: it was a short clunker of a film.
JP3 seems to be nothing more than a short episode of "The Idiots Run From the Dinosaurs Show." The film's action scenes are rushed & ordinary. I say ordinary because they're nothing different from the first 2 movies except for the fact that there's little setup for the scene which makes for hardly any suspense.

And as if sitting through an hour of watching the same chase sequences wasn't bad enough, the ending is totally unfulfilling, with no action and a confusing resolution.

I'll give it 2 out of 4 stars, though, because there were a couple of new action sequences that caught my eye (The bird cage, the river). I'd say that the only people who should see this one are kids ages 10-14, and anyone else who doesn't mind spending 90 minutes watching the same special effects with an unsatisfying ending.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-18-2001 08:40 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I have no recollection of sending you pictures of my Goat, maybe my rabbit?

Hey

Where did you get that prettie girlie,
Where did you get that jolly dollie,
where did you get that dish, I wish, were mine.

We'll be friends until the end but
this looks like the end, my friend.

Question is: Who sang that song in what year?
for I want that dollie, for my own.

Les Daniels
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2001 01:01 AM      Profile for Les Daniels   Email Les Daniels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple things about the movie, and I apologize for the spastic post, just a lot of random comments 'bout the movie.

I thought the satellite phone ringing was a cool touch...

I remember saying, "Good lord, they found the kid already?" As reiterated from an earlier post, it wouldn't be a Jurassic Park without a child being the motivation for the movie.
And yes, the movie was much scarier than it's predecessorss...

The fog was ridiculous... It's almost as if the screenwriters found a new toy and then overused it. I don't remember a really foggy scene in the first two.. and it's used WAY too much in this movie.

One thing that I can say I absolutely liked about this one was.. that Pterodactyls. I had been wanting to see that on the screen since I read the first Jurassic Park book.

Some things still continue to confuse me though, about the ending..
How did they know where to pick them up? And why in the hell did "government man" have a megaphone? Adding something so trivial for comedic purposes really takes away from the ending...

I also felt perturbed that the music was tarnished by the movie. The musical score fit perfectly in the first of the series.. but it seems almost trivial or out of place in this one. I do agree that the sound was absolutely awesome.. as always the sound effects were great with the Jurassic Park movies.

I know that we shook the dust off our speakers in our DTS theatre for the manager/projection screening the night before. (No, our speakers aren't dusty)

I give the movie a 4 out of 6 goat asses.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: