Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Atlantis

Author Topic: Atlantis
Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 02:33 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was great! It seems like disney is trying to go back to the older more "cartoony" art instead of the recently popular "real life" animation with this flick.

When the film first started it was a bit slow but picked up fast, it didn't even feel like I was watching a cartoon. Its one of those movies that just gets you involved.

I would recommend this film for anyone, although it is more geared towards adults, kids would like it too.

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 11:52 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know how long ago the voices were recorded? I recognized Jim Varney's voice but didn't think it was him since he died a while ago.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-15-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
usually with animation the voices are recorded befor a lot of the characters have been developed. The voices help the artist render certain responses into the chracter they are drawing. Some animation films can take 3 to 4 years to make so you could say that Jim Varney recorded his voices sometime after Toy Story two was completed. If memory serves correctly Jim Varney died sometime last year.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 09:55 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the film was kinda cheap looking. Cool one sheet, and awesome huge standees that fill our entire lobby area. But, the standees make the characters look 3 dimensional with shadowing and crisp colors. The movie imaging was 2 dimensional and boring colors. But heck, the kids are loving it and thats all that matters, right?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Regal Madison Square 12, Huntsville, AL, 2001/06/15, 19:30, Auditorium 7, Scope

I liked the movie. It was nice to see plainer animation used with a story that kept my attention throughout the movie rather than killer 3D animation with a mediocre story. Animation and special effects aren't anything. The movie drew a good crowd, filling most of this larger auditorium at a theatre that is not one of the busiest in town.

There were many kids in this showing, and they were well-behaved. It seems that the story was good enough to keep their attention as well. I give this one a thumbs up. The movie was interesting throughout and I never got "bored".

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 10:47 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah Jim Varney is dead.

No more Ernest movies.

------------------
------------------
Michael Brown
Bradford Student Cinema
www.bradfordstudentcinema.co.uk

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2001 08:40 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Varney died last summer due to Lung Cancer.... I think.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-30-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One humorous thing I did notice is the fact that there was no cute, animal, comic relief sidekick in this movie.

A lot of times I think the sidekick detracts from the other characters in the movie. I'm kinda' glad they saw fit to leave it out of this movie.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-01-2001 02:21 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Anime News Network has an article discussing the many parallels that anime fans are seeing between Atlantis and the 1989 Japanese TV series (and later movie) Nadia - The Secret of the Blue Water.
http://animenewsnetwork.com/archives/feature/atlantis.php
Click on the comparison chart link at the bottom of the article to see a humorous summary listing of the parallels.

Of course some people are taking this opportunity to once again accuse Disney of heavy anime borrowing here, as they have been accused of doing before for The Lion King (borrowing from Tezuka Osamu's Jungle Emperor Leo (AKA Kimba in the west). Personally I agree with those that feel that since Atlantis and Nadia both freely adapt from the same source materials (Jules Verne), the resulting parallels between the two titles are inevitable.

Now if only Disney would only get off their timid backsides and release (straight to DVD if need be) the two Studio Ghibli anime titles they've been sitting on since 1996:
1986 Castle in the Sky - Laputa
1989 Kiki's Delivery Service

I'm still waiting! (sigh)

Paul
Mercenary Projectionist
"When the money runs out, so does I!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: