Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Evolution

Author Topic: Evolution
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2001 04:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an entertaining silly little film. If you liked "Tremors", you will enjoy this one. (The visuals are kinda cheezy, but that's part of the fun.) The entire cast is great, but Orlando Jones stands out with his expressions and delivery. I don't want to say much else that might spoil the fun.

Go into this auditorium expecting a semi-mindless fun film, and you will have a blast. Should do good business.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-09-2001 08:00 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear it's coming s n.

Sorry, don't have the three eye option as yet.

Actually, that's good to hear. I was a little worried when the trailer says ' from the director of 'GhostBusters'. Not that GB is not a good film, just that 17 years is a long way to reach back to try and sell something.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2001 01:16 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

On first viewing of the Trailer for
Evolution, it looked really funny.
But the more I looked at it the more
it looks worse than the joke films ID4 & MIB,
only very much worse.
(Plus the the foyer display scares the crap out of me. Every time I walk around the corner from the bio box, all I see is that dumb guy out of Dude, Where's my car?)

No I take that back, Id4 and MIB are ok.
I just wish that David would reaslise he
is typecast as Moulder and there is no getting out of it. X-Files is, or was big until he turned his back on it, I know 7 years is a long time, but his big screen stuff is going no where fast.

I better get some sleep, Michael will be mad if im late again - some genius progammed a 9.30pm of Pearl Harbor -(no prizes there), good luck Bill getting home at 12.45pm Sunday night!
At Hoyts our last one is 8.30. Thats better.

Bill.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good flick, but obvious Ghostbusters similarities. It leaves you longing for Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd in their prime, but its got a few yuks. Nice commercial spoof at the end too.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2001 09:52 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely a good time. I was worried David would act too much like his X-Files character, but as the movie progressed, he started to remind me less of Fox Mulder and more of Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters. There are certainly parallels between the two films, but like Brad said, if you also liked Tremors, you'll enjoy this one.

I remember reading that the original script was of a serious sci-fi horror film until Ivan Reitman decided to make it a comedy. I guess he figured no one would take it seriously.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2001 09:06 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went in to the theatre expecting this film to blow chunks. But, it was very entertaining and well liked by the small audience for the 9pm showing. I'd even pay to see it!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 03:10 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Regal River Oaks Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, 2001/06/14 18:50, Aud 7, DTS, Flat

I wanted to see this movie on opening night, bet didn't get the chance. I heard from several friends that the movie was hilarious, so I made a point to see it opening week, at least.

The movie wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I tend to dislike the "sudden scare" type of effect that this movie used several times. I could easily predict when a "sudden attack or scare" was going to occur because things would suddenly get calm and quiet.

I wish the movie had included some friendly, tame creatures. It seems that every single alien creature that developed was aggressive and hostile. When I first saw the green creature that the women were referring to as a "dog", I was really hoping it would be a friendly, tame creature as its appearance and facial expressions first led me to believe. Somehow, though, I knew that when the woman stuck her hand out to pet it, it was going to attack her violently.

The movie would have been more interesting with a mixture of good and bad life forms. As a comedy, they would have had a lot of opportunities to have fun with strange, wierd, friendly, funny alien life forms, and they could have had a more complex, more interesting plot that way, too.

The presentation was top notch. "Film Done Right" well describes this presentation, which is very typical of this particular theatre. This auditorium had a newly installed DTS system (about a month ago) and the sound and image quality were flawless.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 09:36 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I just got back from the cheap matinee. We had a good time, and enjoyed the film. Just good mindless fun. A pleasent way to spend a couple of hours. Akroyd was a surprise and added to the flavor of the film

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2001 08:42 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance Coburg Drive-In Theatre, Melbourne Screen 2, Saturday Night

This film spoofs a genre of alien invasion films and does so reasonably successfully. To some extent David Duchovny spoofs Fox Mulder 'I've had experience with the Government...' although fortunately the film does not become as dark and brooding as the X-Files.

I must say that Dan Ackroyd seems to have lost a lot of his comedic punch. He overplays his character somewhat. In some ways he seems a shadow of his former comedic self which is a shame.

Nonetheless the film works quite well and doesn't take itself too seriously. The ghostbusters comparisons are there but the digital effects put this film into a different class.

Quite good and enjoyable effort from Ivan Reitman

I have one question though regarding casting. Was that Frank Oz doing a cameo?

Verdict (out of 5 stars) *** 1/2*

cheers Peter

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-22-2001 06:49 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, that was Celine Dion.

Don't worry...it's a common mistake.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: