Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pearl Harbor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Pearl Harbor
Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2001 12:15 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, our theater recieved three prints of the 3hour long film. We needed two reels replaced out of the 27 we recieved.
I screened print "b" at 12 midnight last night with my girlfriend. I thought it cruised by for being such an epic in length. I found some of the romance to be sappy, but it will draw a certain demographic I suppose. Will this movie outdo Titanic? No. I don't think it can. However, the attack scene is very nice. I watched it with a very sharp eye, looking for digital crap, but only recall one instance that I thought something just didn't look right. Blood was kept to a minimum, which is nice for the week stomached, but does not portray the violence in a realistic light. In my opinion, that is okay, because you still get a sense, and unless we were there, we will never "Really" know what it must have been like.

This one should draw the crowds, like nothing else has recently, but that really doesn't say much. My girlfrien, who hates screening movies with me that late, thought this one was really good. The romance was touching at times, and the battle scene was nice.

I hope the boys "Aflec and the others" make their money back.

-Will (don't believe the hype) morrow.

|  IP: Logged

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2001 12:18 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well what can I say? The trailer was great, national awareness for this film is 90 something percent. What do you get? For me it was a great 40 something minute bombing run, and a really really bad love story thrown in. I was extremely disappointed. I'm not a fan of Bay's movies, but I thought he could maybe do something with a subject like this. I thought wrong. I was more excited about the lord of the rings trailer on it after the movie. 2/5 stars

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 12:37 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said in the other PH thread, the love story would over-write the movie, and guess what? It did. Sorry to ruin it for anyone else who did't get 3 or 4 prints, but hey, facts are facts.

I will grant it this, the battle scene, (where'd that 45min battle scene crap come from?) was decent, but unlike another poster, you could see the CGI in lots of the aerial battle shots, especially the ones in the airfileds between the buildings, etc...

Anyway, as I was saying, the film, overall, was a 2/5 due to the over-involvment of the love story. This, we could have done without. Too bad, fo me, this was the SOLE film I was looking forward to this year. Guess I missed the boat again. Oh well, there's always next year....

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-25-2001 02:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I wanna hear from everybody would be the answer to these questions:

**1. Did the movie live up to the hype?

**2. Do you think it's a Titanic wannabe?

**3. What did you think of the sound mix?

**4. Does anyone actually think Michael Bay is a good film maker?

My answers:
1. No. Certainly no one actually expected it to.
2. Yes.
3. Crap.
4. Hell no. Though if he could break Jerry Bruckheimer's leash he *may* be able to show some potential. But those two seem joined at the hip.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 02:22 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. NO
2. YES
3. I didnt think it was that bad
4. If all he did was action scenes maybe

This Movie would have been so much better if was only 60 minutes long. The actual action scenes, thats it! Thats all!

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Asst. Manager/Projectionist
Gloucester Cinema 1-2-3

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 04:25 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS AHEAD

Like Aldo, I'm not a big fan of Bay's. This is mainly because he directs action movies like MTV videos. He's stylish with the camera movements and the slo-mo when he shouldn't be, but I also figured with the subject material, and a script by Randall Wallace (Braveheart), he just might settle down with the bullshit shots. I couldn't be more wrong.

With Zimmer's score and Bay's direction, Pearl Harlor sometimes felt like The Rock or Armageddon set in a WWII frame. In particular the scenes with the Japanese invasion planning, the Code Breakers, and the President talking to his Staff members. Quick cuts, flashy strobes, tracking shots and severe close ups with Zimmer's overdone Crimson Tidish music. I'm really surprised Michael Bay didn't have Roosevelt and his Staff walk into the Oval Office in slow motion a la The Right Stuff or Reservoir Dogs. But let me just point out at least two more instances in Bay's ability to compose irritating, of not plain weird, shots.

First, there's a shot in the White House about maybe ten minutes after the attack first starts. We leave the invasion with the big man who was boxing with Cuba Gooding Jr. in the beginning of the film being trapped in a flooding compartment of the Arizona. After he is submerged and his death clearly is evident, we cut to an old White House Aide running to give the President word of the bombarding at Pearl Harbor. It is almost laughable because the height of the camera is just below crotch level, and just when we think the old man's privates are about to run into the camera's lens, they tilt up to an absurd low angle shot of the old man running. Needless to say, I found this rather odd if not somewhat distracting. Just as I'm immersed into the action and devastation wrought by the Japanese, I suddenly start to wonder just how close and personal I'm going to get with this running old man's genitals. Now was that supposed to happen? Gives a whole new meaning to the term HEAD ON shot doesn't it? (I had to take advantage of that! Groan all you want.)

The next ill composed shot is actually a series of shots, but they all take place in the same locale. The hospital. Things are happening fast and chaos is rampant as the wounded are rushed in masses overwhelming the nurses. It makes ER look like a practice lab. You have to give the audience the doctors and nurses' sense of confusion yet also strength in this crisis. How does Bay accomplish this? To better depict the disorder, the lens blurs. No my friends. It is not the projector. It is Bay at his best. And it is bad. I was hoping that would only be an effect limited to the trailer, but it occurs intermittently, and it is beyond frustrating. Bay was probably trying to pull off something similar to the audio level dropping in Private Ryan when Tom Hanks would lose his focus during some of the battle scenes, only Bay is trying to do it visually. In order to give you insight into the character's lack of focus amidst a sea of agony he literally makes the audience lose focus. So the optic effect just seems like such a cop out. I almost wish his excuse was that he went overbudget, the hospital scenes were the last scenes to be shot, and they found out the next day during the dailies that one of the elements in the camera's anamorphic lens was cracked, but couldn't reshoot the footage, so they decided to blur the rest in post in a desperate attempt to look artistic. That would have been more respectable. But alas I feel the effect was premeditated, and therefore a screw up on Bay's part.

I was told by someone that Bay had on at least four occasions threatened to walk out on the project because the studio wouldn't give him the budget he wanted. I really which he'd have been allowed to walk out. The action scenes were great, and it seems painfully obvious most of ILM's staff was dedicated to this project more than to Mummy Returns. Bay's films look good. He has a wonderful D.P. But in the end, it's wasted on Bay's sense of direction, or lack there of.

So I think the movie sucks. And it's all Bay's fault. But at least the Lord of the Rings trailer looks cool.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 04:57 AM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take my Saving Private Ryan DVD over this on any given night.

David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 07:28 AM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi

please define "crap" for the sound: you mean poor sound editing? poor sound effects? Zimmer's score ? ??

Also wished Steven or even Petersen had done it but hey, there are 3 no-nos for a real, "à la SPR" movie behind: DISNEY ( which must appeal to its teenagers/families public too ) BAY-BRUKY so, I'm not surprised at all.
3hrs is way to long, 140min would have been acceptable and fair.
thanks

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 09:07 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I felt that this movie could have been completed after the attack with some text like.

"In April 1942, we bombed whomever and ... died"

"This person and that person lived happily ever after"

"The war ended with the bombing of Hiroshima on ..." (I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact date)

"God Bless all those who fought and died for our country during this war"

"Have a nice day, please pick up and dispose of your trash on the way out"

The last hour I felt was just plain boring.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-25-2001 09:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran this a couple of weeks back and I can answer this one. "Crap" in regards to the sound mix on this flick basically means that the entire audio track seems to have been ran through an Afterburner (dynamic range compressor/limiter), and then that copy of the track was ran through an Afterburner again, and then that copy was ran through an Afterburner again and then over and over until there was no more than 1db left of variance from a loud explosion to a quiet whisper. That was what really ticked me off about this film more than anything. This film SHOULD HAVE had a fantastic track, but was just "loud" with lots of compression. The dialogue level varies throughout the film in respect to everything else going on in the track and I know of one theater that was so displeased with the mix that they went back tonight and placed cues on the print and actually automated smooth fader changes from scene to scene. I got to witness part of the run through this evening and it is super slick and extremely well done. Now the action scenes sound as if you were actually there at Pearl Harbor and the non-action scenes don't sound as if someone is screaming in your ear.

In other respects, the love story was forced, there was too much cheezy dialogue throughout the film (some that is supposed to be uplifting, but just made us all laugh) and the script seemed as if it had been rewritten about 30 times to make sure that no cliche was left out. Visually though the film does look very nice with one exception...the panicked hospital scenes. Someone really should explain to whoever was responsible that effects should not be overused. The entire sequence in the hospital during the Pearl Harbor bombing appears to have been shot with 2 containers of Vaseline on the lens! It looks like shit and was exceedingly annoying. On the flip side, the special effects by ILM are first rate! Apparently there were only 25 prints made in dye transfer. That is a damned shame.

By the way, did anyone else keep thinking that Ben Affleck was actually Kevin Costner with the way he spoke and his mannerisms in this movie?

David Baum
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 09:54 AM      Profile for David Baum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Btw, has anyone heard it in Dolby THX EX and in DTS ES ? a comparison ?

buying TORA TORA TORA new edition this weekend!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 of those print then Brad.

Paul.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 05:38 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad suggested I should cross-post here to mention in Yak I've supplied the full text of a very derogatory review of Pearl Harbor in another publication. A Quite Long and detailed indictment; seems to be in accord with the consensus of Film-Tech opinion here.

I haven't seen the film and the earliest possibility will be if Mike B. books it at his theatre in Forsthe MT 90 miles from here; if not there then on DVD. I see from other posts that there are some "premium prints" around [IB-tech?] which are in booths run by film-techers so for a new Mission Impossible we have to see if there might be some way that Mike could get one of these specially shipped direct out of 1st-run. 4 prints reported to be in one place. Makes your mouth water!

Disney needs $140-Million just to make back the negative on this one, never mind the print costs. "Heaven's Gate," the bomb which sunk United Artists, didn't even make enough in theatres to recover the print costs. I ran it back when I was a projectionist and the 12 full 2000' reels in 3 cans were sent back after just one week, engagement cancelled.

We'll all know in a couple of weeks if "PH" is the "Heaven's Gate" of Disney in Year 2001.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2001 10:41 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if this films bombs, it should clean up this weekend. The Amazon.com web page has 5 separate PEARL HARBOR buttons on it's main page.

As for show times, I count (for Friday), 104 showings of the film, and if an average of 300 see each show, that's over 30,000 admissions. Over a 4 day weekend, its entirely possible that over 100,000 could see this film in this area.

Mark L.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2001 11:25 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was about what I had expected, good battle scenes and bad love story. I think that it would have been better if they would have made it more of a Drama ala "Saving Private Ryan" instead of a love story like "Titanic". I nevered much cared for Ben Affleck as an actor (See Armageddon) but having to watch him butcher a southern accent for three hours was pretty painful. Something that stood out to me was a scene where the two male leads were on the beach and there was a noticeable change in lighting when ever the camera switched between them. On another positive, I thought Jon Voight did a hell of a job as FDR although Cuba Gooding Jr.was compleatly wasted in this movie. 1 1/2 out of 5.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: