Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mummy Returns (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mummy Returns
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2001 07:13 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yuk is all I can say about this flick. Granted there are a few fun moments in it, but the addition of the kid ruins it compared to the first one, and dont even get me started on that god-awful CGI of the Rock in the ending, not too mention alot of the other CGI. I really enjoyed the first one quite a bit because I think they didnt go too overboard on the CGI, and also where Rachel's character is a little nerdy and stuff, but in this flick it was a complete character change.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2001 11:39 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet (but I plan on watching it tomorrow with my brother) but the consensus that I am getting from customers is that it is better than the first one. I guess i will just wait and see for myself.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-06-2001 01:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie right after "Freddy Got Fingered" so of course "The Mummy Returns" looked like a masterpiece in comparison. At least there were two good looking women to look at thru this flick. But the movie itself really wasn't special in any way.

"The Rock" was only in it for 5 minutes I think. During the end they use computer graphics instead of the real person. We all laughed at how bad the computer graphics were. I guess since the movie is banking on the popularity of "The Rock" they wanted to make his CGI just as fake as the WWF itself!

I can't believe that they're making a movie called "Scorpion King" based soley on "The Rock"'s character. What wrestling star would name himself after a Nicolas Cage/Sean Connery movie anyway?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 06:46 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went with 5 other people to see this on opening Friday night at Hollywood 18 here in Huntsville. I believe all the showings sold out. The consensus from my friends was that the second Mummy was better than the first Mummy movie. I admit that I enjoyed the second more than the first.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-06-2001 08:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The computer animtion reminded me of the mosnter effects in the Sinbad movies. At first I though the animation really sucked then I remembered Sinbad. I wonder if that's the kind of effect they were trying to achieve on purpose. All the rest of the effects in the movie were pretty good. I can't believe they would do such a bad job with The Rock/Scorpion King and do such a good job with all the rest.

As far as the rest of the movie went, I kept thinking of other movies each time I saw an effect:
Wall of water: The Ten Commandments
Creatures scampering along walls: Alien III
Evil monkey creatures (Fetishes): The Wizard of Oz
Scorpion King: Sinbad
Endless army of drones (Anubis Warriors): Star Wars EP1
(et. al.)
It was almost as if they were paying tribute to all of the great movie effects of the past. I will say that many, if not all of then were done much better than the original. Even Lucas' "masterpiece" of EP1 pailed by comparison... and that was done only a couple of years ago.

Overall, I'd have to say that if you want to enjoy this movie you must go into it with the "willing suspension of disbelief"... Eye candy. Even then some of the scenes are just too far "out there". It's just too hard to believe that a mere mortal can jump 20 feet off the top of a moving drawbridge and make it to the other side in a single leap... even for a movie. As a matter of fact, I had to keep saying that to myself: "It's a movie. They are allowed to do things like that."

I did enjoy this one but I repeat. This one is eye candy.
I give this one **1/2... but if you love movies with gratuitous explosions and special effects then I'd give it ***.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 10:12 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that it was better than the first movie, errrr, not the b/w original version. Some of the effects were so so. But, in the long run it is packing them in. Great concessions sales, but boy are those patrons messy. One thing that really pisses me off is those cheapskates that sneak their own snacks in and don't have the smarts to pick the crap up and place it in a garbage can. I was thinking about picking up an infared night vision scope to catch 'em in the act. The can't read signage, and they certainly don't follow the policy trailers. Sorry to ramble on.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 08:40 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did any of you think about "E.T." when you saw the hot-air balloon? It has been a really long time since I've seen "E.T.", but I kept thinking about E.T.'s head every time I saw the balloon. One shot had the balloon floating in front of a full moon.

When you saw the little pigmy things in the forest near the end of the movie, did anyone think of "Gremlins"?

One review I read before seeing the movie mentioned that there were elements of these movies in there. If I hadn't read that review, I would probably have still thought of E.T. during the hot-air balloon scenes, but probably would not have thought of "Gremlins" during the forest fight scene near the end of the movie.

Randy, you're right about the "suspension of disbelief". In one scene, someone jumped from a second-story window and was unhurt. Nobody ever seems to get broken bones jumping from second story windows or roofs in movies.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you looked very closely, there was a scene ala Dr Strangelove/Slim Pickens on the bomb, where the tree bridge blows up and one of the pygmies rides it down as Pickens did, kind of cool.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 12:02 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans,
I can't believe someone else actually thought about ET.. I called out over our two ways when I saw the scene... Even the moon in the background was wayyyy to similar..

Anyhow, as far as movies go, this one BLOWS. I feel it will be successful enough to claim the $100mil mark w/in the 2nd week, but 3rd week should see a FAST dropoff. There will be no long standing second wind for this one as there was for the first... IMO...

Damn if I'd see it twice... and damn if I'd tell people to go see it...

Joe: You're right.. it would have looked like an oscar winner beside Freddy.. what a waste of film... Canadians should be insulted that Tom Green represents them... ..

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 07:28 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>>Canadians should be insulted that Tom Green represents them<<<

Well, we are, I guess, though I can't say as he's very popular here, in fact I've never seen any of his stuff (filed away in the "If we don't pay attention, he'll go away" file.)

More alarming is the contribution he and his supposed new wife Drew Barrymore would make to the gene pool if they had kids. There'd
be some BRAINPOWER for you. What kind of math is involved Evans? If you bred two "half-wits", would that give us a "quarter-wit"???? I weep for the future!

And besides, we've shipped Mr. Green off to the 'States with all our other famous folk. Though I have a feeling his star is fading fast.......

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 09:14 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>>Canadians should be insulted that Tom Green represents them<<<

Just think of the field day that the South Park movie could have had with this with their "Blame Canada" stuff.

To keep from wandering off topic too much, more about "The Mummy Returns":

I was really surprised when I heard that it beat the record set by Star Wars Episode I and find it difficult to believe. People were camping out to get tickets to SW E1 and crowd sizes were huge. The Mummy Returns did generate large crowds but nothing compared to what Episode I generated in my area. I think ticket prices being higher is what makes movies keep breaking records. If records were based on how many tickets were sold, they'd be more accurate. The Mummy Returns seemed to generate much larger crowds for the 9:00ish showings in my area, but I'd be willing to bet that the crowds will quickly diminish to the point that next weekend, things will be back to normal unless another huge movie comes out. SW E1 drew large crowds for several weeks.

About the breeding of "half-wits", there is a lot involved. It depends on which genes the child gets. It is possible to get an intelligent person out of half-wits, but it isn't as likely as with two intelligent parents.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-08-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on which half of the wit the child inherrits!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2001 03:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Green is from Canada? OH THANK GOD ALMIGHTY! But if he is from Canada, where is his funny little accent? Oh well, I'm not complaining. Maybe he'll keep going south until he gets to Mexico. Are you sure Canada didn't just kick him out for good?

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2001 04:19 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The record broken here was for a non-holiday 3 day weekend. It was compared against every movie since 1940, with all ticket prices pro-rated to todays numbers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2001 05:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Then surely Pearl Harbor will be the new record holder in a couple of weeks.

I kept from making negative comments before the movie opened, but now that it has made it's money I must now state that "The Mummy Returns" was CRAP! I would go into further detail, but that would require me thinking about the film and that is something I want to forget.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: