Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Freddy Got Fingered (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Freddy Got Fingered
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 09:32 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, Aud. 2, 19:25, 2001/04/20

I went into this movie expecting to be disappointed and expected to see a dumb, tiresome comedy. Sure, this was one of the stupidest, dumbest comedies I've seen, but it was funny all the way through. Twice during the movie, I was laughing so much I had tears in my eyes, which hasn't happened in a long time. The movie was full of laughs and many were of the "No, he didn't really do that, did he?" variety.

In short, this movie was a total riot, and the audience loved it. I haven't heard this much laughter during a movie in a long time. Comedies now have to push the envelope farther and farther, and this movie succeeded in doing that. I never imagined someone so talented they could succeeded at "whacking off" practically any male animal. The "slinging the baby around by the umbilical cord" was totally outrageous. It was one of the scenes in which I got tears in my eyes from laughing so much.

If you want to see a very dumb, outrageous, funny movie, go see this one!

The presentation quality was excellent, as is typical of this theatre. If they could just get adjustable masking in all their smaller auditoriums, they'd be top-notch.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 02:02 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the whole movie but the slinging the baby around by the umbilical cord part I found dicusting and very distastful. I think Tom Green can be very funny and I find his outrageous ages very amusing at times but with the section I saw last night....I thinks hes gone too far.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 10:54 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the thing is ... You know it is not a real baby. It's like seeing a man on fire in an action movie. You know he's not really getting burned. With the baby, either it is a doll or it's computer-generated.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2001 12:36 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
…With what I have heard from my co-workers that watched this one, I think that I'll be avoiding it!

Yes, I do have a tendency to enjoy twisted & disgusting humor. On the other hand though, it is my personal opinion that Tom Green is a prick, through and through. I do not find him or his antics to be funny.

*runs off to watch Monty Python's 'The Meaning of Life'*

~GLB

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2001 09:18 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know most of you know that I enjoy sick and disgusting humor, but I dont think it translates very well to the screen in most cases.

I havent seen the movie either, but i did see parts, and it looks as if there are a few mild laughs here and there, but they are too far apart and they are not delivered by tom green.

The only part I can say that I have enjoyed, was when rip torn points out that tom greens girlfriend is hadicapped and she asks if he has a problem with his legs.
To this he replies "no but you do or else youre just lazy."
And that really isnt very funny itself.

The gag about moving the houst to Pakinstan was ok, but didnt hold up.

And I just had to stay and see Tom Green Whack off a horse saying "look at me, look at me."
Is that supposed to be funny?

I agree with Gracia.
Monty Python it is.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 12:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that even though this is probably the worst-reviewed movie in history, that over $7 million worth of tickets were sold in opening weekend.

Just imagine what the figure would be if all the kids who bought tickets to "Spy Kids" and crossed auditoriums were counted in!

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2001 02:20 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the worst films I've ever seen. I honestly don't know how I sat through the entire thing. For me, it ranks right up there with Hardware and The Avengers. I've gotten more enjoyment out of GCC training videos then I did with this shit. The baby slinging scene was monumentally moronic as was the deer scene and the paraplegic's bamboo fetish and the animal handjobs and the list goes on and on. I like asinine humor as much as the next tasteless guy, but this... how can anyone manage anything above a chuckle? Tom Green wasn't kidding when he said he and his friend didn't know how to write a movie.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2001 01:11 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From all the people I've talked to since I've seen the movie, most people don't want to see it and many seem to dislike the movie. Maybe that explains why nearly everyone in the audience with me was laughing and enjoying themselves so much. People that know they wouldn't like the movie weren't in there, leaving people that would tend to enjoy it. I admit that an auditorium full of people seeing a movie is not a random sample at all!

One person that I ate lunch with yesterday told me he could barely even watch the trailer.

This is a movie that people either love or hate, with very little in-between.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-27-2001 12:39 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw PART of this movie today.

Remember, the tagline for this movie is, "This time you can't change the channel!"
Yes, that it true but you CAN walk out! Man! Am I ever glad I didn't have to PAY to watch this piece of crap!

The ONLY reason I saw it was because I was there to fix a problem in the sound. I went in to check the sound quality after I made the adjustments. I figured I'd sit down and see what all the fuss was about. I sat there for about a reel's worth and left. Even one reel was to much, but I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess.

The jokes make absolutely NO SENSE! They are all out of context! There was NO reason for him to swing a baby around. The situation didn't call for it.

The way I see it all Tom Green's "gags" are like telling a puchline without a joke.
(And I DID gag on a few of them)

Here's an example: ...And the travelling salesman said, "I though she was your daughter!"... See! There's no set-up!
In comparison, take a look at the "Blucher" gag in Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein That joke rocks the house every time, even though the punchline comes (what I think) is a whole reel later after the set-up! Mel Brooks is the MASTER of the set-up!

And while I'm on the subject... Mel Brooks knows when to QUIT on the jokes. ie: The "Put the candle back" gag. If he would have had Gene Wilder and Terri Garr go around the secret wall even ONE more time, the joke would have been "stale". He cuts it of at just the right moment and then Terri Garr shouts from behind the wall, "Put the candle BACK!"... The audience laughs and then it's on to the next scene... joke over.

Tom Green has NO sense of timing! So, let's assume for the sake of arguement that you found the baby-swinging gag to be funny. It was funny for a second because, like Evans said, you KNOW it isn't real. He KEEPS swinging it! There's blood shooting all over. Then he bites the umbilical cord! Not only has he gone WAY over the top with the joke, he keeps stuffing it in your face even AFTER the "funny" has worn off.

I left shortly after this scene so I can't tell you any more. But from what I've seen I can't imagine the rest would have been any better.

When it comes to comedys, I classify them in three basic categories:
Funny -- Makes you laugh.
Not funny -- Doesn't make you laugh.
UN-funny -- LESS THAN "not funny". It would have to get funnier to become "not funny"!

I classify this movie as UN-FUNNY.
I give it ZERO stars. If my personal rating system had "negative stars", this one would get at least a minus 2.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-27-2001 05:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
While I will admit to enjoying some of Tom Green's television shows (some ARE quite hysterical), this movie goes in the worst 10 movies of all time. Words absolutely cannot describe just how incredibly UN-funny this thing is. I am not even sure if I let out a single tiny little smirk throughout the entire film. Who knew that a movie could be SO BAD??? I am still kicking myself for not just walking out.

Freddy Got Fingered =

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2001 10:18 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all are missing the point that the movie being so bad is what makes it funny. The movie works best in a fairly crowded auditorium because the crowd reactions add to the experience.

For the Friday night showing on opening night that I attended, there was an auditoirum full of people that would disagree with the "UN-FUNNY" rating. They were constantly laughing throughout the movie. In fact, I haven't heard that much laughter from an audience in a comedy movie in a long time. Brad, how was the audience reacting during the showing you saw? Were there enough people in the audience to get the "laughing energy" going that often helps make some comedies funnier?

Important point: Now I admit that an auditorium full of people showing up on opening night to see this movie is not a random sample! It is possible for 90 percent of the population to hate a movie before it even plays and have an auditorium full of people, 90 percent of whom totally enjoy it. Why? The ones that know they won't like it don't go, so the auditorium full of people will be people that will tend to like it. Note that if 90 percent of the population hates a movie and refuses to see it, and of the 10 percent that do see it, 90 percent of them like it, then although only 9 percent of this population like the movie, you'll have a crowd in which 90 percent like it.

Of all the friends I've talked to, I haven't run across a single one that has a desire to see the movie, although I went to see it and was surrounded by people who loved it, for the reason stated above. I'll bet this movie will not do good business for long if this is the case, because the ones that enjoy the movie probably saw it opening weekend. Hmmm. Let's see what kind of business it does the SECOND weekend.

Although many of the gags are really outlandish and gross, it's just the fact that the movie makers had the nerve to put those things in the movie. The shock value causes people to laugh and react with disbelief. It's like the first time we all saw the "South Park" movie.

Tom Green had cancer at one point, right? I'm sure that some of the money made by this movie will go toward cancer research. If so, that's not a bad thing, and if it is the case, I hope the movie makes a lot of money.

------------------
Evans A Criswell

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2001 07:49 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not missing the point. The point is Tom Green doesn't know how to write a comedy. He doesn't know how to write a movie either. There's funny stupid and then there's just plain stupid. Maybe it was because I was in an auditorium virtually devoid of human presense (I wonder why?), but something tells me I would have gotten just as much enjoyment out of this film with a crowd as I did with just two friends and maybe two more souls sitting in a back corner somewhere.

This movie was clearly intended for Tom Green fans, and I happen to enjoy the Tom Green show. And I must tell you that I was beyond let down by Tom Green's comedic shortcomings as it pertains to the big screen. It was nothing more than shock value, it was mindless, and if it weren't for the graphic scenes and language, perfect for ten year olds. I would say it's also intended for those in a somewhat vegetative state were it not for the fact that our resident mathematician Evans enjoyed it. As you have demonstrated with your amazing stochastic capabilties time and again on this forum, it is painfully clear to me that you are neither ten years old nor are you suffering from some mental ailment. But my god Evans! You're a scientist How could you possibly like this?

Anyway, give me Black knights impervious to pain despite the limbs being hacked off and animations of men trumpeting with their asses any day of the week. But please not Tom Green.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 04-27-2001 08:35 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of Carrot Top. Funny Comedian, but has anybody tried sitting through "Chairman of the Bored" I mean "Board"? Enough said.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2001 10:15 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dwayne, would you like some sausage?
Dwayne, would you like some sausage?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Here is an important clue: I've never once seen "The Tom Green Show". Do you think that may change the way I see the movie? Remember "Bean"? I had seen several Mr. Bean episodes before seeing that movie, and I think that made the movie just a repeat of the jokes in the episodes. Had I not seen these, "Bean" would have been funnier. Maybe people who have seen "The Tom Green Show" find "Freddy Got Fingered" less funny.

quote:
This reminds me of Carrot Top. Funny Comedian, but has anybody tried sitting through "Chairman of the Bored" I mean "Board"? Enough said.

Now this is interesting. Two or three years ago, I had two friends over, both intelligent (one a Linux nerd who likes Macs and even had a professional photograph taken with his Max by his side) and we watched the "Chairman of the Board" movie and we all three were very entertained by it.

I think that maybe my mathematical mind makes me more prone to enjoy dumb comedies. When I go see a movie, I like to just forget all my troubles and just sit there and get absorbed in something for a while. If it is funny, it cheers me up. That's why I like comedy movies best (most of the time). Sometimes, I get stressed out with the pressures of school and work and just want to sit and treat my brain to something as devoid of intelligence as I possibly can. "Freddy Got Fingered" served that purpose extremely well last weekend when I was studying for my final exam in my digital image processing class.

I'm a scientist, and I'm one of the few scientist/engineer types that doesn't get into shows like "Star Trek" and "Babylon 5". What I like is not typical of what my peers like, which is why I started going to movies by myself in 1997, so I could see what I want. I could never get anyone to go with me to see most dumb comedies and romantic comedies ("Chick Flicks") that I wanted to see. I definitely enjoy different types of movies than my peers.

I spoke to the manager of the Regal River Oaks Cinema 8 in Decatur earlier tonight and he said that "Freddy" did not do good business tonight, and had bombed pretty badly at his theatre. He's the only one showing it in Decatur, and it is in his biggest auditorium.

------------------
Evans A Criswell

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-27-2001 10:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
, I agree with you about "Bean". Seeing Rowan Atkinson's other Mr. Bean comedies pretty much ruined the feature film for me. However, I am not aware of any joke in "Freddy Got Fingered" that was ever in the Tom Green Show. Try and catch an episode on MTV some time, for if you actually liked the movie, you are going to want to start taping and collecting every Tom Green Show ever made.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: