Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Delicatessan (video review)

Author Topic: Delicatessan (video review)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 09:29 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Recently I saw the film "City of Lost Children' on video which inspired me to have a look at 'Delicatessan' which was also made by Caro & Jeunet.

I am no horror fan so fortunately the film was not too gory. In case you don't known anything about the film basically it portrays a surreal, dark modern day world where food shortages have led to an organised system of suburban cannibalism.

This French film is a comedy although not of the belly laugh kind. The best way to describe it is that it is a true 'arthouse' film - namely film made as a piece of art with an emphasis on mood and feel.

A bit bizarre, a bit funny, a bit macarbre, quite surreal but beautifully shot and well acted.

In particular the ending scene where the lead actor and his girlfriend are on the roof making a peculiar form of music stands out as a piece of cinematic artistry and one that is highly memorable.

You will either love this film or hate it but whatever you do, don't miss it.

4 stars out of 5.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 10:05 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it. I was expecting something very gorey if somewhat controversial for a show have to do with cannibalism myself, but it was all implied and tastefully (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist) done considering the subject material. It's not like Alive, Cannibal the Musical, or Ravenous in the fact you actually see some human body butchering, but rather the butcher has done his job off screen and his work is packaged and being sold like so much Man Meat. Personally, I wouldn't have cared. I liked all the movies mentioned. I guess I'm just a sick bastard.

But this film is funny and everything is well executed. I'd recommend it, although something tells me most of the Techers here have probably already seen this. I will have to say I liked this better than Caro and Jeunet's other attempts such as City of Lost Children and certainly more than Alien Resurrection.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-15-2001 10:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to rock the boat too much, but even though this review was loosely connected to the earlier review of 'Chocolat' can we keep this for reviews of [at the time] current theatrical releases? I feel that we could be opening a floodgate of older video reviews...

Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-15-2001 03:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the point of having the movie's title as the thread's title, so as to allow older reviews (possibly for repertory booking). However, putting the year of release beside the title would be nice. For example:
Pearl Harbor (2001)

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 09:40 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is room for compromise here.

Perhaps this forum could be retitled 'film Handler's New Movie reviews and a new forum created 'Film Handler's Classic Movie Reviews'. That would keep everyone happy.

I suspect that although many contributors work in the film industry (I don't - I am a tax accountant by profession but have reviewed films for my organisation's in-house mag under the nickname 'Fuzzy Rodent'),
not everyone has seen every film ever released. I am slowly catching up with many famous films I have never seen before eg to date I have never seen Gone With The Wind, Rocky Horror Show, The Matrix, The Main Event, etc etc etc. I feel there is some merit in highlighting slightly off beat but nonetheless classic films like Delicatessan that some people may not have seen before.

Returning to Delicatessan, some aspects of the film remind me of another classic film 'The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover'.

For those interested here is a review of The Cook...
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/c/cook.html

Interestingly the reviewer mentions Delicatessan & City of Lost Children in his review.

I have noted that Jeunot & Caro made Alien Resurrection although I have not seen this film (I only saw Alien and I am not keen to seen any of the sequels as grotesque beings ripping their way out of people's stomachs is not really that good for my nerves). I'd be interested to hear if J & C brought the same kind of surrealism to Alien R. that they brought to their earlier films.

cheers Peter

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 12:19 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<Perhaps this forum could be retitled 'film Handler's New Movie reviews and a new forum created 'Film Handler's Classic Movie Reviews'. That would keep everyone happy.>>

that is a nice idea in theory, but the only problem is, that after 6 months or so, brad would have to move threads from one forum to another, resulting in a skajillion closed threads on this forum.

that is unless he could just move it and than delete it from this one.

of course, if he could do that, he might have done it already with other threads hes closed or moved.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2001 02:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too much to keep up with. I personally have no problem with mixing old and new films on this one forum. As it is, there isn't enough posts to make a difference and if the review forum ever grows, there's always that quick "search" to bring it up.

It would be appreciated if everyone would make an effort to start putting the date of release in parenthesis beside the title.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: