Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bridget Jones Diary

Author Topic: Bridget Jones Diary
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2001 09:46 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Carmike 10, Huntsville, AL, Aud. 5 19:15 2001/04/14

I found this movie to be absolutely delightful, and I could tell that the entire audience had a good time. At first, some members of the audience seemed a bit shocked at the amount of language, but they quickly got used to it. It's fun the way characters often bluntly say what they're thinking. I highly recommend this. I say it will be one of 2001's best romantic comedies.

Quality of presentation was excellent.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Info Site

|  IP: Logged

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 12:15 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with Evans. This film was delightful. I have not laughed so hard in quite a while. Tomcats didn't come close to makeing me laugh out loud as much as this one did. Renee Z. played her role wonderfully. I even like the couple pounds she put on to portray the english look, very sexy. Way better looking than the anorexic looking Renee from Jerry McGuire. Anyway, I will be looking forward to this ones DVD release, and will also be recommending my friends to see this one in the theatre! 9 out of 10 for comedy/romance. :-)

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 03:46 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All again,
Hmm. BRIDGET JONES DIARY. Personally I like the music, the song, and the fight scene with Geri Halliwell singing "IT'S RAINING MEN". But as a film, i did not like it that much. Yes it had comic elements in but I believe it's more of a girl film. Girls will love it. Girls who saw it at the screening really loved the film but most men did not. WOMAN'S FILM. I'll give it a 5/10.
Demetris Thoupis

"FOR STRENGTH AND HONOUR"

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 09:24 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Girls will love it. Girls who saw it at the screening really loved the film but most men did not. WOMAN'S FILM.

I figured someone was going to eventually say that. I knew it was going to be that kind of film from the start, but I've found that I like a lot of these movies. I have many "chick flicks" in my DVD collection. After seeing this one, I got out "Notting Hill" and watched parts of it again (with the commentary audio track).

It's funny that I thought the "fight scene" seemed somewhat out of place and not realistic. After all, they fly through a plate glass window, breaking it out, and neither of the two men got in any trouble over it? I guess they had to put something "manly" in there somewhere. All those punches and not a single lasting bruise on their faces? Yeah, right! No major cuts from going through the window? I guess one useful aspect of this scene is it did help to show the true nature of the two characters, like the way that Hugh Grant's character was sneaky about attacking.

Except for this strange scene, I really enjoyed the film. I know it's not for the really macho types that prefer the more violent beat-em-up, shoot-em-up types of movies that I typically avoid.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2001 01:56 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This girl loved it I honestly thought that I wouldn't like it when I first went to see it. It was very funny, I'll definatly get this on DVD!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 05-29-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night my wife dragged me to see this film. I kept saying "Bridget what?" "Who the He_ _ Bridget Jones!"

Well, I have to admit, I enjoyed this film. I found it delightful and entertaining. I was hoping that it would not end. This picture will have legs.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2001 08:32 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Good movie.

I saw this in a busy house but i plan to see it again with less people - its the kind of movie where you miss the next lines of dialog after a joke because the audience is still laughing.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2001 08:21 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the there's nothing new in Hollywood Department.....Does anybody realize that BJD is just an updated remake of Jane Austin's Pride & Prejudice. Colin Furth played the same character in the A&E version of Pride about five years ago

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2001 08:33 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hi all

Attendance: Special Preview Screening at Balwyn Cinema (in main cinema) Monday July 16th 2001.

It is pleasing to see the British kicking goals in the film-making business again - even if they do have a Texan in the lead role. Although Renee Zellweger does a fine spell of comedic acting (and a very convincing British accent) one is inclined to ask - are there no up and coming British actresses who could have filled the lead role? As seems to have been a trend in Australian films for some time, overseas film-makers feel the need to cast Americans in lead roles in order to sell the movie into the USA. If the American actor/actress is speaking with an American accent one could understand the familiarity angle however having the American (in this case) actress speaking with a British accent seems to me to defeat the point of having an American there!

Leaving aside American tokenism I must say that I enjoyed this film immensely. Renee Zellweger looked so FAT! But she sure acted convincingly as did her co-actors Colin Firth and Hugh Grant. It was also pleasing to see distinctively British sets and culture on the screen again. I highly recommend this film to those who like chick flicks/Romantic Comedy.

Verdict: 4 1/2 stars (out of 5 stars)

cheers Peter

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2001 04:37 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UGH! I simply don't understand. I just don't get it.

Obviously someone dragged me to this movie. I kept banging my head on the back of the seat in front of me. It still didn't numb the pain of watching this flic. I thought it was awful. I had never screamed out loud in disgust before during a movie. I prayed the manager would kick me out.

I didn't find this movie funny at all. I couldn't laugh anyway, I would've spewed vomit everywhere.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 09:05 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't find this movie funny at all. I couldn't laugh anyway, I would've spewed vomit everywhere.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks! Often, it's the vastly different opinions on the movies that make these review threads so interesting. Could you elaborate on why you hated the movie so much? I'm not being critical of you, just curious. (I've reacted negatively to movies that most other people have really liked before.)

JC Cowles
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2001 01:30 AM      Profile for JC Cowles   Email JC Cowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess for the most part, I just found Bridget's character to be appauling. Renee Z. playing the part didn't help matters much. I couldn't care for her, I couldn't identify with anything she was going through, and I kept hoping through the whole move that I'd see a bus scene like in Final Destination, only with one of those double-deckers.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2001 02:21 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for some reason we are getting this film back at our theatre this week. it even gets its very own house all to itself! i swear our film bookers are smokin somethin. i mean, i dig the movie... but why with the re-release?!

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2001 11:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is getting to be standard practice at Miramax to recycle their product whenever they can. Last year there was a limited first run recycled 'break' of Scary Movie just before video. This year they have recycled 'Chocolat' for Mothers Day weekend and now we have the Spy Kids gimmick. Just business as usual!

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2001 06:21 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the UK Bridget it's still at number 11 in the top 15. 19 weeks on release and at the local 16 screen it still gets a 4 performance a day entire auditorium to itself.!!!!! Thats more that final fantasy (3 performances a day) which open 2 weeks ago or Josie and the Pussycats which opened this week.(3 a day)

I saw it i think on its second week of release so thats about 17/18 weeks ago!

This film has legs allright!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: