Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Crocodile Dundee In Los Angeles

Author Topic: Crocodile Dundee In Los Angeles
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-13-2001 04:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been 13 years since we last saw Mick Dundee and here again is a chance to see what he's been up to all that time...

The result is the worst film in recent memory.

This thing just sits there and does nothing. There must have been a script though, right? If that's true, then they forgot to watch the first movie again before they wrote it. It is entirely unfunny and looks like it was made for television's midday movie (it's not good enough even for prime-time).

Mick fights a crocodile (sort of) then goes to LA and fights the bad guys who are stealing things.

That's it. WOW! What a story!

(yawn...)

...and after the first two were scope, this one's flat! Interestingly, some of the shots seem to be very loosely framed...almost as if it were shot to go to super scope but they changed their mind and saved their money.

Wise choice. Poor Mick...

1/10

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2001 04:34 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
please tell me you were forced to watch this

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-13-2001 04:41 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No James, I was paid to run it...which is the only way I would advise and even then...

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 06:53 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the reasoning behind making this movie?? It's certainly not the worst film I've seen in a while, but waiting this long to do another sequel you would have expected something better (I always thought #2 was a little silly too, though well-made- this one looks CHEAP!) The end credits say it was mostly financed by a bank in Luxembourg.
Besides being not as well photographed, Peter Best's music from the first 2 is also gone. The movie ends with an interesting re-recording of Men At Work's song "Down Under" though. I have no idea how this is gonna do business-wise.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2001 02:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand Paul Hogan completely financed this film and that Paramount did not sink a single dime into it. All Paramount is doing is distributing it.

From the looks of the trailer and the overall bad idea of making another sequel, it sounds like the Paramount guys knew what they were doing. Watch this thing bomb badly!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-20-2001 05:00 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It did 2.5 million over its opening 5 day Easter weekend (Thur to Mon) which is pretty darn good (amazingly). As a guide, we generally do 10% of the US take.

It was a dud at my theatre so i don't know where it took all that money, maybe outside the metro area where reviews are not so commonly read.

Expect it to dive at least 65% in the second week and be scraping along the floor to the exit by the third though...as soon as word of mouth gets around...

Peter Best's music is sorely missed and Basil Poledouris should go back to Conan (maybe another sequel there )

The 'Down Under' song in the credits is the best thing about the film...for starters, it's a great song and it also announces that the film is about to end and put the poor patrons out of their misery.

It couldn't have cost too much to make (it looks as cheap as they come) so Paul's surely not out too much money.

------------------
"It's not the years, honey...it's the mileage". Indiana Jones

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 09:13 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Another night at the Coburg Drive-in!

Well what can I say about this film?

Compared with the two previous Crocs this one was done on the cheap and it shows. The good cinematography of the first two films is missing and the musical score is not outstanding.

Family members have claimed to me that they saw errors in the film (like boom mikes appearing) but I can't say I saw these myself.

I think the Dundee character has lost a lot of his lustre. His naivity was a key in the first film but in this he doesn't look pleasantly naive - just stupid at times. There's a fine line.

At the end of the day I found it an ok film but nothing to write home about - video material. 3 stars out of 5.

Leaving the merits of the film aside, I think that Hogan will turn a profit at the end of the day.

Hogan's strategy is twofold

1. Release the third in the series that many years after the second that everyone has forgotton how bad the second was.

2. Make it as cheaply as possible therefore there are less costs to cover therefore it has a better chance of turning a profit.

Australians are preety loyal to Paul Hogan so I expect good support for the film here in Australia. Perhaps David Kilderry might like to comment on how the film is being received here in Australia.

cheers Peter

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2001 12:30 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blah. From what I've read in the prior posts, I've most certainly decided that I won't bother spending extra time at work to watch this one!

Oddly enough, Crocodile Dundee in L.A. seems to be our #2 movie this weekend…

(For the curious - Spy Kids is the film that is kicking butt for us. )

~GLB

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-22-2001 10:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... I thought it was cute. Not great, mind you. Just good for a cheap laugh.

I'd give it **. (I'd watch it only because it's free.)

I think whether you like it or not has a lot to do with where you live. For instance, O, Brother... is kicking ass, here in the South. I'm not sure how it's doing back up North. I just think people down here identify with the humor more easily.

I think Crocodile Dundee has the same kind of thing going on. If you live in L.A. I'm sure a lot of the humor seems like an "In-Joke". If you're from Down Under I'd bet it's more like a "Reverse In-Joke".

Being from the country but having lived in the big city for a few years I kinda' see things both ways. When Mike Dundee (The kid) picked up the rat and all the other kids ran away screaming, I had a kind of "humor flashback". (What?? It's just a little ol' rat, for crimeney sakes!)

Now I do have to admit that this movie was filmed cheaply. If you're looking for a cinematic masterpiece, forget it! If you're just looking for some cheap laughs it'll fit the bill.

Come to think of it, the plot DOES seem to be self-referencing! Do you suppose Ol' Paul Hogan could be smuggling something?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: