Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pokemon III

Author Topic: Pokemon III
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2001 06:40 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird, man, WEIRD!
That's my review
It might've made more sense in the original Japanese.

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-06-2001 11:10 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad truth is that much of the poetry and flow of many foreign films is lost when the dialogue is translated to english. The new script usually does not exactly match the origional script to make up for sync and cultural differences. An example of this is in Princess Mononoke(er...excuse me, Mononoke Hime). In the origional version, Chigo says "this soup tastes like water." While in japanese this is a rather hefty insult, in english is effect is a little less. So when they redubed the film, The line now says "are you selling soup or donkey piss". Much more punch, don't you think?

Josh

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really it's a pokemon movie. The kids are not looking for poetry here they want to see pokemon battles. I dout the translation would really matter anyway. I have seen the pokemon movies and the videos and it really does not matter as long as the kids enjoy it.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-07-2001 12:22 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

actually, I've heard the origional Japanese versions are much better. If you can put up with higher pitched voices

Josh

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2001 09:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see pictures of whoever it is recording Picachu's voice! I saw a tape of the first "Pokemon" movie playing at Borders and they had the closed captions turned on, and they said things like "PICA PICA!" That cracked me up since when I'd first seen that one I thought "I feel sorry for whoever has to do the closed-captioning for this!"
Warner refused to put the last 2 out on DVD in widescreen format, even though they're 1.85 hard-matted, so see this one in the theater while you can just in case!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: