Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Le Placard ( The Closet)

Author Topic: Le Placard ( The Closet)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2001 07:27 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I ventured out to the Cinema Como in South Yarra (Melbourne Australia) to the only showing of this film as part of the French Film Festival. I still can't believe that they only had one screening of the film.

The script is by Francis Veber who also wrote the extremely funny "Le Diner de Con' (The Dinner Game). The film has a very strong cast including Daniel Auteuil, Gérard Depardieu, Thierry Lhermitte, Michèle
Laroque and Michel Aumont.

The story is about a very mild mannered accountant by the name of Pignon who works in a large condom factory. One day he finds he is going to be fired so to protect his job he pretends to be gay. Needless to say his bosses, concerned about publicity decide to keep him on. The ruse has however a number of unexpected and very funny consequences which I shall not spoil for you.

This is arguably one of the funniest films I have ever seen. Gerard Depardieu deserves an Academy Award for his performance in this film - his is outstanding. I strongly recommend this film for anyone - even for those who don't like subtitles. Whatever you do don't go to a dubbed version - I loathe the way many European films are dubbed.

The story line has many unexpected twists and turns and is extremely well written. I can't wait for Francis Veber's next film.

Verdict 5 stars (out of 5 stars)

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2002 06:58 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with peter, a great film !.
It felt a little contrived in the beginning, but it wasnt long before i forgot about it and fell in love with the story!.
A great cast, gerard d. was superb and daniel auteuil was brilliant as usual.
I found it to be more 'quite funny' than 'extremely funny', but thats humour for you !.
I saw this on DVD and the american dub was hillariously AWFUL, it barely matched a single word with the subtitles!.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 06:13 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

All dubbing is evil. No exceptions. Worse still those who practice this black art aren't even good at it.

Go see Le Placard again up on the big screen in its original soundtrack with english subtitles and you will get more of the feel of the film. Aside from being extremely funny, this film is absolutely stacked with several generations of French comedic acting talent. Its worth a second viewing in its native language.

Remember - dubbing is evil. Just say no.

cheers Peter

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree peter , all dubbing is evil!.
I did actually watch the film with the subtitles first , then i went back and watched a few scenes dubbed just for a laugh , i find it very entertaining .
They must think that nobody would notice.
Although i have heard from alot of people that even the subtitles can be very diffrent from what's actually being said .
By the way please keep up the reviews (i do enjoy them) , it's good to keep up with the foreign releases.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 08:52 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad

I had stopped as I thought I was the only one interested in foreign releases but I shall be happy to review any good foreign films I have seen.

I'm really hanging out for Jeunet's next work which will be an adaptation of a French novel by Sébastien Japrisot ("Un long dimanche de fiançailles" (A Long Sunday of Engagement?).

One of the joys of being alive is waiting for the next Jeunet film to be released. It's a bit like people felt wehen waiting for the next Beatles record to be released back in the late 60s. When you have confidence that a Director is going to produce a great film you eagerly await his next one. I'm also so glad that he isn't going to produce an 'Amelie II' although he would have every commercial motivation to do so.

Also I am hanging out to see the Asterix sequel if/when it gets released in Australia as well as Taxi III, IV , V etc etc etc

cheers Peter

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: