Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Chocolat

Author Topic: Chocolat
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2001 07:48 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very entertaining. Not a chick flick. A real STORY and some good camera work I thought. I would tell most people to go see this now, good stories in the movies are fewer and further between these days. What did you think?

Famous Players, 34 foot screen, "jagged" aperature plate (???), print a little dirty early first reel. We sat 24 feet back, as close as I'd want to be, overall presentation and sound pretty good....I wonder why this movie was FLAT, there was some stunning French countryside and village panoramas that would've had a cool look in Scope......

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 08:51 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I saw this film last night in a smallish older style suburban theatre - the Balwyn Cinema in Melbourne (I sat at the back). I love older style theatres which have real atmosphere unlike modern day dogboxes.

Disturbingly the audience was almost exclusively of an older age group (older than me - I'm 36). Pity that a younger audience didn't give this film a look.

I loved the film and thought that the film really illustrated what a film should fundamentally be about - namely telling a story. The script was strong, the setting good (although at points the film didn't convey a genuine French 'feel') and the actors good. It is very hard to make a film feel genuinely French. I think some things are better left up to the French themselves!

Nonetheless I enjoyed this film immensely. Dame Judy Dench's performance was excellent and deserved an award.

Some of the aerial shots of the town appear to have been done using a model which is why they may not have used scope.

And the subject matter is very tasty although it is interesting to note that I watched 'Delicatessan' on video during the week and this paints quite a different picture of the french palate!

Still, this film makes me want to visit the Chocolate Box (a chocolate shop) in Camberwell!

I highly recommend this film to all ages. Or to anyone who likes chocolate. Yum!

4 1/2 stars

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2001 08:25 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanna know why Judy Dench and Alfred molina weren't up for oscars.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2001 09:43 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not been a big fan of Judy Dench in the past but this film showed me why she is so highly regarded. Her performance was outstanding and really shone.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: