Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Billy Elliot (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Billy Elliot
Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2001 10:43 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(post had been modified, I am sorry if the original comment offened anyone. I was not meant to be taken that way.)

I thought the movie had some good and bad parts...I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it but, the end was very uplifting.

Over all on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest....I give it a 3. I don't understand why it was nominated for best picture... Oh well, thats why I run a theater and am not a critic! GO BROCKOVICH!

------------------
"Blood is thicker then blondes" - From the movie, Save the last Dance.

FUNNY!!!!!

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2001 02:27 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brokovich?
please.

TRAFFIC

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2001 12:01 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Traffic yet....is it real good?

------------------

FUNNY!!!!!

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-16-2001 12:27 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't enjoy watching 11 year old boys kiss - that's your critism of Billy Elliot? It's one brief sweet little scene in a movie that runs almost two hours. As film-tech's resident fag, I say - get over it! It's comments like yours that make people think that homophobia is ok. Well it isn't.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-16-2001 03:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a touchy subject that I feel I had to respond to...

Before I comment further, let me make it PERFECTLY clear that I am **NOT** 'gay-bashing', or anything of the like, I am just making what I hope is a valid observation and point for both sides, thats all.

>>It's comments like yours that make people think that homophobia is ok. Well it isn't.<<

No, it *isn't*. Neither is forcing the 'radical' gay agenda [which can be described in several differing ways, depending on who you are or where you lean idologically] upon people that are genuinely opposed to it for whatever reason. It's a double-edged sword... 'group' ideologies have an ugly tendency to offend *both ways*. (see below)

Last time I checked we live in a *free* country where people can *THINK and CHOOSE for themselves*. If they choose to subscribe to the 'gay agenda' (or *any* other ideology or belief, for that matter, 'right-wing' OR 'left-wing') as long as it doesnt cause physical harm to someone or intrudes on another's [gay, straight, bi, black, white, blue, green, liberal, conservative, etc, yada yada...] personal freedoms, then so be it.

Rachel has the right to say what she did. She didnt give me the impression that she *hates* gay people because of one offensive [to HER-remember the comment above about 'free speech'] scene in a movie.[in which the portrayal of the two boys kissing is *also* protected free speech.

Ky has the right to say what he said as well. However, in the way the comments appear, it gives the impression that he is directly accusing Rachel of being 'homophobic', and that could be taken by Rachel as an offensive comment towards her or her personal beliefs.

Bottom Line: It appears that Rachel and Ky are gulity of hurting each others' feelings.
Rachel for a comment that offended Ky's 'group affiliation' [I can't think of a better descriptive word for it at the moment], and Ky for directly accusing Rachel of being hateful towards gays in general.

Can't we all just get along? Please? ok... everyone shake hands and say theyre sorry.

Aaron
"I'm straight, but not narrow..."

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 02-16-2001 03:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, forgot to mention...

its either Gladiator or Traffic!!

-Aaron

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-16-2001 06:50 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, I'm sorry if I offended you. Or anyone else.

And I vote for Traffic for Best Picture.

Ky

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hey, Ky, I'm sorry if I offended you...not that its anyones business but I'm DEFINATLY not homophobic....I'm Bisexual

It was just the part of the movie that most stuck out to me, I really didn't like the movie...not because of the two boys kissing, just because......I didn't like the movie

I'm sorry if I offened anyone by what I said above *shaking my head in shame*

PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!!

------------------

FUNNY!!!!!

timothy johnson
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2001 01:45 PM      Profile for timothy johnson   Email timothy johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, it's about time we talk about sexual orientation on FILM-TECH, I for one loved Billy Elliot, if anyone has ever grown up with narrow-minded friends and family, you would identify with Billy, all Billy wanted to do was dance, and all I ever wanted to do was make movies, and it was not always easy when I grew up, so you go girl! hey KY, nice to meet a family member...

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 02-20-2001 05:44 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel - all if forgiven.
Timothy - great to meet you too. I knew I couldn't be the only one.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2001 02:00 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm going to give the movie another try when it comes to my theater...

It probably didn't help my opinion of the movie that I didn't really feel all too well when I was watching it. I can only remember a few parts...

------------------

FUNNY!!!!!

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2001 08:22 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to fuck up the debate:

If all this get written, while the projectors are running, maybe it's on time to go 1800 feet and manual arc lamps again...

I'm opening Billy Elliot on Oscar nite, so let's have a look. Miss Broch would be ok with me, eccept from the fact, it won't help business

As long they don't give anything to "Tiger" -the most stupid-stupid nominations ever.
Art-house-snobbery - Yak !

/p.

----------------------------
Push the button, Max

Fate,
Professor

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 09:12 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I saw the film on my Ansett flight from Perth to Melbourne recently. A friend had raved on about this film so I thought to give it a look.

Unfortunately I can't say that I agree with my friend.

Whilst the setting was genuine enough, the acting came across as a bit wooden and unconvincing. The plot suffered from a certain predictability. The sexual issues portrayed in the film were touched upon but seemed ancillary to the plot itself. It was as if they were almost included for their own sake.

I don't recall seeing the boys kiss in the film - possibly the film was edited for an airline release.

Sorry to say but the film didn't rank terribly highly with me. I found it quite dull in parts. 3 stars out of 5.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2001 12:26 AM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn’t seem to me that “Billy Elliot” had as much to do with homosexuality as it did with people forced to live down their dreams because of those around them. The film had one gay character – so did “As Good As It Gets” – it seemed somewhat irrelevant to the scope of both movies.

I ran “Elliot” for three weeks. The first week the local paper found it necessary to run a ˝ star review an inch above my ad for the same movie. When word of mouth got around, the second week soared over the first. When people leave the auditorium and thank me for bringing it to town, I figure it’s got something going for it.

Presonally, I give the movie an 8. It'd be a 9 if it wasn't for that damned music i had to listen to every night.

As far as bad gay films, “Relax, It’s Just Sex” sucked . . . I mean was really, really bad.

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2001 07:28 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen it yet, but I have been told it is charming. I am a dancer myself, ballet, modern and lyrical are my focuses. It's more of a hobby than a profession, but I can tell you that being 17 and interested in dance was quite a time for me. Now I am 22 and my little bro took up dancing at 19 years of age. We are both very hetero, with no qualms with males that aren't, and you know how guys feel about girls that are gay. LOL Anyway, I can't wait till this one comes to DVD, because I live in a small city that will not get this movie. I will let you all know what I think when I see it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: