Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 13 DAYS

Author Topic: 13 DAYS
timothy johnson
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2001 05:34 PM      Profile for timothy johnson   Email timothy johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found 13 days better than I expected. Even though (like Titanic) I knew the outcome, I have a better respect for what nearly was a nuclear war and I was feeling the tense moments. It also reminded me of the tense feelings I had as a teenager in the 80's and that constant threat of Nuclear weapons from the former USSR. This movie also reminded me we are not out of the woods yet, as other countries still have weapons pointed or way. The only annoying part of this film is Costner's accent, it just was annoying, other than that, a tense adult drama..

|  IP: Logged

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2001 12:44 AM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Accent!

"This isn't a permission slip, this is ya repot codd"

Kevin!! It's the 21st century! If you can't master an accent, hire someone to dub it for ya!

Russ

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2001 05:55 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that I'm not the ONLY one who was annoyed by his terrible 'Maine' accent. The movie, in and of itself, was a great one, but just having to endure his accent nearly killed me. I've recommended this film to all my 'regulars' and not one has said I was wrong. I'd like to set up school shows with history classes, but the language is a bit harsh to really pursue that.

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2001 07:18 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Costner is "prolific" at mangling accents.
Jason, a great idea, the history class. Isn't it too bad that the language "spoils" a lot of otherwise good movies. Many of you no doubt watch AMC. Ain't it amazing, all those great movies, and no "blue streaks"? Sure, you knew what the actors WANTED to say, but the stories were so good.....I disagree with Hollywood, movies aren't about reality. Plenty of good stories are being lost on coarse language and graphic whatever....

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2001 03:09 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, good movie, bad accent. got on my nerves after the first hour

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2001 10:25 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, very few actors ever seem to get a 'Maine' accent right. As someone from Maine, I find it infinitely annoying to hear the accent get mangled!

So, at least I know about this before I see the film...

~GLB

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had to chime in. Near as I can tell, we haven’t had a president from Maine yet.

Kennedy was from Boston and Cape Cod, Massachusetts. This accent is very different from the Maine accent.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but they probably mess up the Cape Cod accent as well.

Rob Brooks
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2001 08:21 PM      Profile for Rob Brooks   Email Rob Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched the whole film through yet. But it seemed like the actor who played Bobby Kennedy had the looks and accent down better than the actor who played JFK.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-18-2001 10:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this tonight...

Great concept, but flawed execution. The editing was uneven, and the film ran slightly too long. Annoying accents aside, the acting was actually pretty consistently good. I enjoyed the score as well. Most of the CGI/optical work was pretty cheesy-looking.

This wasn't a bad film at all, but it could have been so much better with just a few improvements. I can't comment in detail on the historical accuracy, but I'm usually pretty good at noticing props that are inappropriately chosen and I didn't see anything here that was obviously anachronistic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: