Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Traffic

Author Topic: Traffic
Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2001 11:24 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Traffic"

Very very good movie. Dangerous to the establishment and refreshingly
candid about the war on drugs, this movie is best viewed just before or
after PBS and NPR's Frontline four hour series "The Drug Wars." The
cinematography is first rate, but if you get motion sickness take some
dramamine (although I must say the nausea I experienced seemed to enhance
the sickening reality portrayed by the director).

The few big Hollywood stars detracted somewhat from the realistic sense of
the film but did not destroy some wonderful analogies between squeaky
clean suburban life and mexican drug kingpins.

|  IP: Logged

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2001 11:47 AM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good movie, long but it kept me interested throughout the whole thing. We started watching it at 1:10am, and I didn't look at my watch once....rare nowdays with all the crap that has been coming out

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2001 01:56 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True to life. Explores the darker realm of the drug world, and the horrific truth being, it is in our very own homes. Nice camera action, I especially like the Mexico scenes. Did you ever notice that actors from Boogie Nights always tend to be in another film together. Its like where one goes so does another.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2001 08:08 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, did Gladiator REALLY deserve to win best picture over this at the Golden Globes?

Hell No.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2001 03:08 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie a lot, although I think some of the critics were hyping it up a little more than it deserved. Of course, they have to sit through every stupid Adam Sandler movie that comes out, so I guess they are all a little starved for good movies.

Overall, it felt like a really good episode of "Law and Order" (the way that show used to be, not the way it has been recently). The tone is serious, the characters are real and three dimensional, and the situations are believable.

The photography was interesting to say the least. The scenes in Mexico were given a "stylized" look, which of course means they looked excessively grainy, and were given that washed-out, sepia tone color. Normally I'm not the biggest fan of that sort of thing, but I think it actually worked in this case. The dull, cold-blue colors that were used for the scenes in Washington were also pretty fitting. It made for a striking contrast when one of those "stylized" looks was suddenly intercut with scenes involving Don Cheadle and other characters in San Diego, which had more of a standard movie look to them.

------------------
Aaron Haney
Professional Complainer
Apple Computer, Inc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: