Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bittersweet Motel

Author Topic: Bittersweet Motel
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-21-2000 10:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this. I can't say that about too many "band" or "concert" films. There are a number of good films for which music is a central theme (Thirty-Two Short Films about Glenn Gould and SLC Punk are personal favorites, among others), but there are very few good band documentaries. This is one of them.

I don't really qualify as a "Phish-head," but this film was really enjoyable to watch. I'm not sure what made this one "work" where others have failed, but I will give the editor a huge amount of credit for getting the pacing right. The film never seems to slow down and never seems boring; it doesn't dwell too long on any one scene and offers a nice balance of concert footage and backstage scenes. The mix is quite good, too; even in a mediocre theatre, the music sounds good. Du Art labs did a nice 16->35mm blowup job, too.

To a certain extent, this is little more than a self-promotional puff piece for the band, but it's a very, very well done self-promotional puff piece, and one which makes good use of subtle humor and should be enough to interest people who aren't personally big fans of the band.

|  IP: Logged

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2000 11:59 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you see the movie wave to me, I was in the front row of the 12-14-97 show at the RWM, I was also at the great wnt, and lemmon wheel, but I'm not sure if lemmonwheel was in it, I want to see this movie, cause I am a fan of the band (just ask my boss who gets pissed off every summer when I take a month off to tour with them) however, it only came here for 3 days, it was at a little art house called the little, I wanted to see it, but they got it the week the grinch came out, so needless to say where I was, then when I finally got a day off they didn't have it anymore, found it kinda strange seeing as that a piece of the movie was filmed here

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: