Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Proof of Life

Author Topic: Proof of Life
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2000 05:25 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you like Russell Crowe or Meg Ryan;if you spend the middle hour & fourty-five minutes of the film in the bathroom or sleeping; or if you like action movies that have a detachable romantic subplot, Proof of Life is the film for you.

Another Russel Crowe movie based on a Vanity Fair article has made it to theaters (The insider was the other), and this time it's only two hours & twenty five minutes (depending on your trailers). Russell Crowe is really convincing as a hostage rescuer, Meg Ryan is really good as the worry-stricken wife of her husband (David Morse) who has been taken hostage and gives a grood performance as that character.

The movie's setup is obvious: David Morse taken hostage--Meg Ryan hires Russell Crowe to rescue him, but as usual, there are underlying issues, none of which you'll care about after leaving the theater, and the normal action (explosions, flashes, gunfire).

The beginning and ending action sequences are worth the price of admission alone, especially if you see it in digital sound. I saw it in DTS in my place's 2nd biggest THX theater (285 seats) and I couldn't believe how seperated, dynamic, and loud the sound was, especially in the surrounds.

The acting is top notch, but unfortunately (as action movies sometimes do) there is a romantic subplot between Crowe and Ryan that seems to be tacked onto the real story. Crowe really doesn't show that he's in love with Ryan until he kisses her! Where did that come from?! I don't object to romance and action intermingling (James Bond does it really well!), but the scripting of the relationship seems almost like they wanted to take it off of the movie if they didn't like it!

Otherwise, this is a really great movie. I'd see it before you see anything else this holiday season.

------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure!"
-Homer Simpson

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: