Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Le Diner De Con (The Dinner Game)

Author Topic: Le Diner De Con (The Dinner Game)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2000 07:02 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Fuzzy Rodent's Film Review

I saw this film a couple of months ago and it is probably past its cinema run however it is worth mentioning.

This french film appears to be an adaption of a stage play and as such relies soley on it's script for laughs. There are few visual gags.

I presume it must have been a very cheap film to make as it is basically all set in one apartment. Despite the fact that the majority of the film is simply dialogue between the two main characters an outstanding script full of numerous twists and turns makes this a memorable and worthwhile film to see. The actors who deliver the script are excellent and very believable. The version I saw was subtitled (the author of this post hates dubbed movies with a vengeance) and I saw it on video.

I found the basic premise of a self-centred person who along with friends each invite and 'idiot' to dinner so as they compete to see who invited the biggest idiot as an imaginative premise although surprisingly the dinner itself is never attended by the main characters during the movie.

As funny as 'La Cage Aux Folles' but a more professionally presented film than LCAF.

Verdict (out of 5 stars) **** 1/2 (must see)

cheers Peter

PS I expect a Hollywood remake will not be far away...

|  IP: Logged

Phil Connolly
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2000 05:23 AM      Profile for Phil Connolly   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Connolly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this about 8 months ago in the cinema, with English subtitles. Can't remeber if it was Scope of flat.

I enjoyed it, the character development was excellent with some very good diologue.

I did seem very much like a filmed play, no much in the way of exciting cinematography.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-16-2000 05:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was released over a year ago in the US and did pretty good business. The reviews were good. I liked the film, but it wasn't as good as the reviews.

I agree with the comment that it was more like a "filmed play" than anything that uses film in its greatest capacity. On the other hand, "filmed plays" _can_ have really good cinematography; think of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," which was beautifully shot by Haskell Wexler.

Still, it was fun and worth seeing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: