Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dungeons and Dragons

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2000 09:19 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie drew a pretty good crowd. Attendance: Regal Madison Square 12, Huntsville, AL, auditorium 1, 19:20 CST on 2000/12/08.

Lots of special effects, complete with anamorphic lens flares CGI'ed into a film where every other visual clue indicated that spherical lenses were used for shooting. The round reel-change cue marks (not elliptical), the circular out-of-focus points of light in the background, and the 1.85:1 aspect ratio, with the experience all made complete with lens flares put in that were stretched horizontally by a factor of 2. Why?

The scene with all the dragons fighting and flying around was pretty impressive.

I felt the movie would have been better if it had more humor. Since many aspects of the movie were quite weak, if they'd made fun of it a bit, it would have made it better.

|  IP: Logged

Erik Schill
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2000 12:25 PM      Profile for Erik Schill   Email Erik Schill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this was the worst movie of the year (that we have gotten) the 5 of us that ran it down hated every minute of it, and wish we could have those 2 hours of our lives back

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2000 02:08 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just go into it with the attitude that you know it's a bad movie and that your purpose is to make fun of it. That's exactly what my friend and I did. At least we didn't pay to see it. We used two of the four passes that Regal sent me for problems I reported to them in a comment card. What's funny is the same problems were still there after 2 months. This movie was in the same auditoriums I reported the problems for two months ago (shutter ghosting visible in lower 60 percent of image, projector aimed too far to right). There was one out-of-frame splice in the previews, too.

I admit that Dungeons and Dragons is one movie I will probably not be buying on DVD when it comes out.

Maybe someday there will be an MST3K episode using this movie. :-)

Evans

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 09:13 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard an interesting comment about this movie from one of my friends who has played D&D in the past. He told me that the movie makes much more sense if you've played, and that if you hadn't, you wouldn't understand the logic behind some of the movie. I certainly didn't, since I've never played, but I thought this comment was interesting and I thought I'd pass it along.

Have any of you played D&D and if so, does it make a difference in your enjoyment/understanding of the movie?

Evans

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 01:38 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play....but I havn't seen it yet. I'm going to see it tonight and I'll let you know

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting Evans A. Criswall

"I heard an interesting comment about this movie from one of my friends who has played D&D in the past. He told me that the movie makes much more sense if you've played, and that if you hadn't, you wouldn't understand the logic behind some of the movie."

I completly agree with that comment. I've played in the past (I liked it, but wasn't too crazy about it) and the whole movie made perfect sense to me. I think that people who have never played the game would just think it was another stupid movie. I really really liked it (I think I'm the only one ).

I think the effects were great and if you payed attention to the sound track (and were in a GOOD theater) it actually sounded like things were flying past you....I JUMPED , and it wasn't even scary, I just thought there was something behind me.

Ok, ok, don't laugh.......I'm not just another girlie girl that jumps at every sound REALLY!!!

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2000 08:28 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother plays the game. He told me last night that he saw the movie and really liked it. I couldn't say. I don't play, and I haven't seen the movie. But there's obviously a correlation between playing the game and enjoying and understanding the film. That being said, I think I'll forego watching it as I probably won't have that familiarity of the RPG to work with.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: