Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Little Nicky

Author Topic: Little Nicky
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I sum this up quickly?

First, if you are a fan of cameos, then this movie is for you. I don't think I've ever seen to many cameos in one movie before!

Second, this movie is "different". I'm not sure how it will play out in theaters. It'll either be a monster hit, or it will bomb big time. For that matter, I'm not sure at this point how I felt about it. Parts were funny, but some other parts were so incredibly stupid that I was groaning. Then again Scary Movie did fantastic business and I thought it was horribly stupid.

I just wish Adam Sandler would stop with the "dumb guy" roles. It seems in most of his movies he has some dumb speech impediment that just isn't funny.

(Can anyone spot Ron Howard's brother? Egad!)

|  IP: Logged

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 11-10-2000 11:24 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know either. It made me laugh at some parts, but then again there were a couple of things that I thought were well...you know.

"It's all in the hips"

Brad, I thought you would like Clint Howards character? jk.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Clint Howard's character reminds me of the T-Rex in Orgazmo. Sure it's funny on a repeat viewing, but just nautious on that first one! I don't plan on giving this flick a second viewing, though.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 07:32 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from the last ten minutes and the cameos(Regis Philbin was particularly amusing, and you gotta love Ozzy), I was extremely disappointed. It just seemed, how should I say...improvised. The stupid mannerisms of Sandler got on my nerves immediately. Why can't he talk with a normal voice? I'd like to hit him in the face with a shovel myself. I can't quite place the black guy who was in heaven with Reese Witherspoon...who was this?

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 09:54 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The black guy was Carl Weathers revising his role as Chubbs Peterson in Happy Gilmore. He showed Adam Sandler's character Happy that when putting "It's all in the hips."

Adam really should stop co-writing his movies and just let Tim Herlihy have full control. Herlihy was the only writer for The Wedding Singer and that's Sandler's best film. So I can't help but thing that all the funny scenes were Herlihy's doing or that having other writers throws off his talent. Or maybe The Wedding Singer was just a fluke.

I did like the big horny bird trying to hump Jon Lovitz in hell. But I'm really surprised they didn't throw in a Mephistopheles gag in there somewhere.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2000 08:51 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie Sunday night at Carmike 8 in Decatur, AL at the 7:15 showing and I'd say that 40-50 people showed up. That's not that bad of a turn-out, but it's not that good either.

I was a bit disappointed by the movie. The Adam Sandler movie I have enjoyed the most was "Waterboy". "Little Nicky" is a very bizarre movie. A talking dog that accompanies Nicky most of the time? Ugh. The talking dog in "Road Trip" was pretty funny because the gag only lasted a few seconds, but I admit that Nicky's speech impediment and warped face, along with the talking dog, got old. If I'd made the movie, I would have gotten Nicky's face and voice straightned out early in the movie so it would have been a gag that lasted a few minutes rather than for the entire show.

Of course, any religious person will not like the movie.

Maybe the next Adam Sandler movie will be better.

Evans A Criswell
http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2000 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When this one started, it reminded me of an extremely dark children's book. Nicky's dad is going to die! It's up to Nicky to stop his two nasty brothers from taking over the world!!

Frankly, it didn't develop much from that. But the question is, did it need to develop?

I'd have to fight Roger Ebert for calling this one Sandler's best. It's an entertaining movie, but it's not exactly of what sandler does best. No, acting like a STUPID idiot doesn't do it for him. He just had to be his in your face self to make Happy Gilmore a great flick (i'd call that one his best).

I did like Rodney Dangerfield as the father of the devil, and I had to like Jon Lovitz's intro, even though he did eventually get humped by a bird.

Did I see right when I spotted Nicky's girlfriend as his teacher from Billy Madison?

------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure!"
-Homer Simpson

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2000 01:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spoke too soon---

That's not the teacher from Billy Madison.

Sorry for the confusion, but she looks pretty familliar!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: