Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Everest (IMAX)

Author Topic: Everest (IMAX)
Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2000 11:56 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie had some absolutely breathtaking shots. 70mm camera work at the top of the world is every bit as amazing as it sounds. While the film was only 45 minutes long, it was packed with some of the best documentary footage I have ever seen. On my scale of what I paid to see the movie ($7.75 being that I got my money's worth): I'll say the sound was $7, the camera work $7.50, and the storyline $4. There were just too many recreations and goofy factoids.

Since this was my first IMAX experience (at the Buffalo,NY Regal IMAX), I'll review that, too. I give the theatre a $3.75: The exit lights gave two corners of the screen a greenish hue, shutter flicker was evident (esp. with all those snow-covered mountains), the print was dirty with a few obvious splices, the picture was the tiniest bit unsteady, and there was a horrible hotspot in the lamp right at screen center. The images off to the sides were much more balanced and focused. Sound was top-notch. The plastic seatbacks in this steeply raked auditorium were quite reflective, which made me too aware of my surroundings. Now I remember why I avoid the Regals around here...

|  IP: Logged

Dan Finkelstein
Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2000 03:16 PM      Profile for Dan Finkelstein   Email Dan Finkelstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of all the Imax films I've seen (and I've seen a lot), Everest was probably the best.. amazing camera work, a really engaging story in a short time, and fantastic music...
-Dan

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-29-2000 04:37 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this theatre a 3D IMAX? That would explain the hot spot.

Shutter flicker on 2D? You sure it wasn't a flickering lamp?

I agree that Everest is the best IMAX film yet. It was tragic how the events unfolded, but as far as making a documentary...those events were incredibly timed.

I liked the score a lot too. Not to listen to on its own on cd, though...but as in running the movie 5 times a day and having to listen to something other than the projector.

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2000 10:08 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK its a 3D house. How does that affect lamp focus for 2D shows?

It sure looked like shutter flicker to me, but its a close call. Either way, it was annoying.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-20-2000 04:04 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom

With a 3D screen it is painted silver. This makes it impossible to have an overall even light on the screen.

Our Sydney screen which supposedly is the biggest IMAX screen in the world, looked FABULOUS when it was only 2D...now, it's only big with a hotspot.

Phil Connolly
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2000 03:54 AM      Profile for Phil Connolly   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Connolly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Our Sydney screen which supposedly is the >>biggest IMAX screen in the world, looked >>FABULOUS when it was only 2D...now, it's >>only big with a hotspot.

John,

The Syney Imax, still has the best 3D installation, that I've seen.

I saw Everest there - it looked great.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-22-2000 04:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Phil.

Have you seen 'Vertical Limit' yet? It has Ed Viesturs in it playing himself. He was the guy in Everest who went up to the summit without oxygen. Amazing.

As Yoda would say though...Great climber he is...not an actor though is he.

On a tacky front, like I say, he plays himself and O'Donnel brings up the point of him (Viesturs) losing his best friend on the Everest expedition.

A bit sad...

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-14-2001 08:48 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot spot and shutter flicker...
The normal 2D matte white screen IMAX screen brightness is about 8fl, and the picture looks pretty decent. Because of the large image, approaching 16fl gives a lot of perceived flicker.
For 3D (I don't know if this house has the LC electronic glasses or the polarized type) the brightness is boosted as much as possible. If the operators don't turn down the lamp for 2D it is too bright, and with all the snow in Everest you will see flicker.
Even the LC shutter type usually gets a silver screen and polarizers are used in the projection optics. The LC shutters in the glasses are also linearly polarized and happen to be at 45 degrees. Since the 2 shutters are identical but flipped for L and R, it was discovered that polarizing the light would help blank the "closed" eye shutter quite a bit. This was just dumb luck, the LC polarization direction wasn't originally specified. This trick was first used at the Sony NYC IMAX theater for Wings of Courage.
Anyway, the hotspot is unavoidable with the silver screen. And its brightness gives a flicker problem as well.
The shutters are not adjustable, they are part of the projector rotor and cannot be out of time. They are also matched very closely. There is, as usual, a master shutter that hides the frame change, and a flicker shutter. Actually neither shutter blocks the entire image, they only cover about 60% of the frame. (actually, on a large rotor there are 16 shutters...)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-15-2001 03:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Everest" a couple years ago at the Denver Museum of Natural History IMAX theater (as part of a double feature with "Alaska"). Really impressive show. I had been anticipating seeing the movie for a long time after watching a TV show documenting the tragic events that unfolded in advance of the IMAX filmmaker's climb up the mountain. The movie was originally going to be only a travelogue, but it became much more important with the survival stories of fellows like Texas doctor, Beck Weathers, who was given up for dead twice on that mountain. He survived purely by determined will where experienced expert climbers could not. I found that very inspiring.

The photography on "Everest" was great. This one ranks up there with "Destiny in Space" and the "Fires of Kuwait" on the scale and spectacle factor. This is one movie that just has to be seen in IMAX.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2001 05:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Denver IMAX really sucks. They don't play anything above 60db (it seems). And it's now called The Denver Museum of Nature and Science or something like that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: