Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bedazzled

Author Topic: Bedazzled
Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2000 08:51 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think this one would top it's predecessor. I mean after all, we're talking about the Peter Cook, Dudley Moore classic here. And it didn't top of the original, but I liked Ramis' version all the same. It's a fun remake of the original story, and one of my favorite movies to quote lines from right now.

Brendan Fraser plays several diverse mutations of his character Elliot Richards through his wishes, and does a superb job. If fact, so do actors Orlando Jones, Paul Adelstein, and Toby Huss who make appearances throughout Elliot's wish vignettes. Elizabeth Hurley plays a seductive, stylish, and very articulate Devil. And she's very hot of course. And Frances O' Connor does just as good a job with the different versions of her character Alison Gardner as Fraser does with his. Just and all around great cast.

Some of the vignettes are pretty funny while others are so-so, but I found myself wanting to see more of Fraser and Hurley together. Now that I think about it, I enjoyed the on-screen time with Moore and Cook together more than I enjoyed the actual wishes in the original also. That's what appealed to me in the original. The conversations Stanley Moon and George Spiggott (the Devil) got into while George was performing some act of mischief through the dialogue.

This deviousness is only manifest in Hurley's Devil in a few scenes where she and Fraser are together. Instead, the movie seems to rush from wish to wish due to The Devil prodding Elliot to hurry with his wishes because of a timeline in the contract, so we are denied seeing that improbable friendship that forms between Elliot and the Devil in as much detail as with Stanley and George in the original. But then again, their was an entire wish sequence cut (where Elliot becomes a rock star. Even the soundtrack features the song he sings with his real voice -- Inside of You Inside of Me), so who knows, maybe they cut out other scenes with Frasier and Hurley. And there was that scene with Hurley and the snake in the trailer after all.

But aside from those gripes, I enjoyed the movie very much. I even go downstairs on occasion to hear the audience reactions. And they seem to be having as good a time with the show as I did. Check it out if you haven't all ready.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Fowler
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2000 11:37 AM      Profile for Rick Fowler   Email Rick Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree was quite enjoyable. however I think if they had spent more time with Hurley it would have ruined it. Wasn't crazy about her acting. other than that all I have to say is.
"damn the devil! Damn the devil to hell!!"

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 11-10-2000 11:36 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else ever noticed how Hurley is suppose to be the devil and she never cussed once? Or is it just me? Then again I only sae it once.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2000 11:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to curse to be evil.
------------------
"When's that darn sun going to set???"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: