Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Exorcist

Author Topic: The Exorcist
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-27-2000 06:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one's not really a review as it's not out here until October, but I was wondering what everyone thought of the re-issue version? Warner Bros must be pretty happy with 8miilion bucks for it's opening three days on only 664 screens!Only $300,000 less than the top grosser Urban legends which opened on 2539 screens.

This is a great film which no doubt will suffer a little from age, but I think it will hold up pretty well considering that fact.

Anyone get to see it yet?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2000 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going into this one, I had high hopes. After all, it was billed as the "Scarriest movie of all time!"
Well, it started, and I immediately noticed how good the score sounded. The THX certified DTS system on our #11 screen was exteremely clear. The small trilling of the violin made for an excellent backdrop to what would follow,
The dusty Iraqi landscapes looked good on the new print, free of dust or silver for the most part. The classic setup of these first few scenes is well filmed, if not making you wonder why you're seeing these scenes.
But give the movie some time, and you'll see. I went on to notice that the dialogue was no way as clear as the score (but what do you expect for a film remixed from an optical mono track?).
The whole "horror" setting of the film is introduced gradually, but artfully. Never too quickly or slowly, but at the right pace.
And as the film goes on, a lot of the good scenes are based on shock value, rather than clear cut killing. This I liked. In an age where the killer has to make "love" to a woman before ruthlessly hacking them to bits, this film stood as a classic example of how you can still make a classic horror film interesting for the audiences.

I would say this is one that's worth a see, even if you are a bit timid to see it.
--One last note: our fake vomit technology has come a long way!!

------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure!"
-Homer Simpson

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film at the Rivoli Theatre in Camberwell, Melbourne Australia. The Rivoli is a beautiful theatre complex much famed for its 20s art deco styling. Going to this cinema is as much a pleasure as seeing a film itself.

I had not seen this film before. In light of all the hype I expected something quite shocking but this was not the case.

I found that the film had continuity problems. I could not understand how the piece dug up in Iraq found its way to the US or what its relevance was to the whole film. I assume Linda Blair becomes possessed as a result of playing with a Ouiji board but it is not clear what the connection with Iraq is then? All very strange.

I thought the acting was generally ok but it is clear that this was not a big-budget film. if it was somebody certainly skimmed off some money. Here in Melbourne we had a bit of a kerfuffle about whether the film should be shown on Easter Friday. Ultimately it was but only 10 people showed up.

In summary I found it an interesting film although the special effects let the film down somewhat. The vomit isn't scary - just messy. I think though that this film is a good candidate for a remake. With the right director and budget it could be made into a genuinely terrifying film.

3 stars out of 5

cheers Peter

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I saw this film at the Rivoli Theatre in Camberwell, Melbourne Australia. The Rivoli is a beautiful theatre complex much famed for its 20s art deco styling. Going to this cinema is as much a pleasure as seeing a film itself.

I had not seen this film before. In light of all the hype I expected something quite shocking but this was not the case.

I found that the film had continuity problems. I could not understand how the piece dug up in Iraq found its way to the US or what its relevance was to the whole film. I assuem Linda balair becomes possessed as a result of playing with a weegie board

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-16-2001 08:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got to run this about four weeks ago now...

The mix was sensational and by far the best use of the E.X. system I've heard...

The film itself has not lost too much of its effectiveness. It is still able to scare the shit out of most of the patrons. It is nice to see patrons commenting about this as truly scary but not relying on gore to be scary as seems to be the way to make a 'scary' movie these days.

I have a problem however with going back and altering scenes. This started with Star Wars episode IV. I hated what George Lucas did to that film as I've mentioned before, but here William Friedkin has done the same thing and it pissed me off as much as Star Wars did. I read a quote where he said he wanted to add these effects when he originally made the film but the technology wasn't available.

What garbage!

I don't mind re-recording the soundtrack and cleaning up the print...I don't even mind adding scenes if they are necessary and effective (Regan coming down the stairs backwards was especially effective and I was not ready for that one!) But to actually add an effect to make it 'scarier' to me seems silly and not so much an artistic addition, but an addition added to cater to what the kids want in this day and age and to me that's pretty sad.

One more observation...Our print was titled 'The Exorcist director's cut' then there is a very bad negative splice and the action continues... My question is...was it called this in the States or was it 'Exorcist 2000' as it was labeled on the leaders and tails of the print and also on the dts discs. We were to have opened this last October, but it was put back intil March 2001 so I guess calling it '2000' here would have sounded too silly. The title on the opening credits also looks as if 'The Exorcist' has been optically moved to the top of the frame and and 'Director's Cut' (not even 'The' Director's Cut) was very poorly added.

Anyone remember what the opening title had as the name of the film?

7.5/10

Go see it and be truly scared by an excellent script.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 05:19 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bradford Cineworld Screen 14 8:00. Flat, SR

What has staid with me was a medical X-ray scenes. With the whole catheter in the neck business. I don't really like medical stuff. It's why I hated 'The Craft'.

IT felt a little too long. I felt that it took far too long to get started.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: