Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bait

Author Topic: Bait
Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2000 04:40 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that I did not have high expectations for this one. Having seen the trailer for it, I figured that it would be one of those films that I'd screen only because someone has to screen it, and that generally means that I get to do so.

Well, two other people decided to show up for the screening. Not bad. Not bad at all. A pleasant surprise given the loew expectations I had of it, being a Warner Bros film and all... (Think about it, WB has served up a bunch of crap this year - 'Battlefield Earth' and 'Perfect Storm' being examples that jump to mind most quickly!)
There is a lot more humor in the film than I expected, nicely offsets the weirdness of the action sequences.
Would I have wanted to pay to see it?
Probably not. But hey, free is good.

~Gracia

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-15-2000 05:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers ahead, but who cares?

The editing, stunt choreography and directing killed this movie. There were action scenes filled with nothing but close up reaction shots leaving you to think "what the hell is supposed to be going on right now?" with only the audio track for a clue. Also, crucial countdowns and general editing pacing in general is perhaps the worst I've ever seen in a flick. Gotta love that scene with the tanker truck locking it's brakes and skidding sideways down the street for what seemed like two minutes solid. The worst is the 10 minute bomb scene. At one point there is 6 minutes left on the countdown and I'm thinking P L E E E E E A S E! No way all that could have happened in a measly 4 minutes. The bomb should have gone off already! Then what should've taken at LEAST another 5 minutes transpires in another 45 SECONDS of the countdown clock. Finally, with 50 seconds left, our hero manages to jump start the vehicle (yes, with those two bare wires that are always conveniently hanging below the dash) and drive the thing through crowds and away from all danger before somehow blasting through a sign (the planning was so bad on this I have no idea what even propelled the van into the air) and exploding in mid air for all to see in complete awe. Those last 10 seconds take about 30 of actual screen time.

Another major problem with this film is again with the editing. It's pacing is S L O W !!! Come on guys, let's speed this up a bit. It's like they're trying to make a feature length show out of an hour special.

Oh wait, I almost forgot the overly cheezy MTVish strobe and slow-motion effects strategically placed throughout the film whenever the film starts to get going again.

Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic. The editor should be shot. It completely ruined the flick.

(My apologies to the editor if the director was insistent on the pacing.)

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2000 06:49 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought it sucked.

The bad guy did a better job as bad boy Percy Wetmore in The Green Mile, but he was still a pretty good bad guy. A few funny scenes. The editing, as Brad said, sucks. Predictable as all hell too. But hey, it was either this or Duets.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-23-2000 10:51 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Words...

Antoine Fuqua...

Horrible director.. anyone remember "The Replacement Killers"? (that was his right?)..

Well regardless...

dave

Paul Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2000 08:39 AM      Profile for Paul Cunningham   Email Paul Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it (hasn't been released here yet) but it sounds as if that Antoine chap decided to "Fuqua the film" Ha Ha

Paul

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 12:03 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had it for over two weeks and I haven't seen it yet. Interesting thing, however, is that on it's opening night a couple of older ladies saw it and really liked it. They must have spead the word around to their friends because during it's entire run here it elder women are the only ones buying tickets to this movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: