Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Nurse Betty

Author Topic: Nurse Betty
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 09:30 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance:
Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, Aud 2
2000/09/10 19:05 (Sunday)

I went to this movie with a friend and I must say that we both thought this movie was witty. As of now, I'll definitely put it in my "Top 5 movies of the year 2000" list. As we arrived at this normally extremely busy theatre (the busiest in Huntsville), we noticed that the parking lot was emptier that we'd ever seen it on a weekend night. In the auditorium, which appeared to have the capacity for 400 to 500 people, there were only 40 people present (maybe a few less than that). The movie generated a lot of laughter from the audience often, which is something that other recent comedies have failed to do.

I recommend this movie. It's different than any I've seen before. I've known people who have become engrossed in daytime soap operas and have fallen in love with actors, and this movie carries that idea to the extreme. Back in the 1985-1988 time period, I used to watch Guiding Light and got very interested in it, to the point that I would tape it every day while at work and skim through it when I got home. When I look back, I can't believe I actually did that. Many kids I remember from my elementary school days fell in love with actors' characters in the shows they were in, and would become so interested in a TV show that they wouldn't miss it for anything.

Just put the "believability" issues aside and enjoy this movie!

|  IP: Logged

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2000 03:47 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that I had a very good time watching this movie! My friend and I were the only people in the auditorium for a 9:35 PM showing. Not that I'm complaining about the lack of obnoxious people... Thursday screening have left me rather spoilt, I now do not particularly enjoy sitting in a crowded auditorium to view films. I just think that this excellent film isn't getting the kind of business it merits.
I mean here we have a decent flick out of the studios this year, and sooo many people are missing out on it. It's a bloody shame.
So track down a cinema running the film, and go see it!

~Gracia

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2000 02:13 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got to see this, and I must agree with the above posts. I was really surprised at what a good show this was. I normally can't stand Renee, but I have to admit she did a very good job. The writing was witty, but there were some parts that were actually pretty dark for a comedy (one of which I happened upon while checking the image out {flicker problems} and was the reason I thought to sit through a showing).

Another thing I have to say about this movie. It gets the record for the most dissolves in a film in a LONG time. I don't think I've seen that many dissolves since the flims of the forties and fifties, and that makes me wonder if that saying at the end of the show "This isn't the forties you know." doesn't have some hidden meaning. Anyway, Nurse Betty is a real treat. Check it out.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2000 09:44 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't surprise me...Neil LaBute is a genius!

After the scathing and brilliant 'In the Company of Men' and 'Your Friends and Neighbors' it's obvious to me that LaBute has 'got it'. Therefore, I've been looking forward to his latest films anxiously!

Can't wait!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2000 09:38 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the most refreshing role I had seen Morgan Freeman in since "Seven". Even Chris Rock was palatable. My only gripe is there were a few too many people going crazy. I also would put it in top 5 of the year, which isn't really saying much this year.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2000 12:56 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found it amusing that about 3 years after the major TV networks started ruining their shows by putting logos on the screen all the time, the movies have refused to acknowledge this. Even in "Space Cowboys" where they go on the Jay Leno show, the screen is free of the turkey and Olympic rings that would normally be there.
With that in mind, the story in this movie could not really happen, because it is impossible to get emotionally involved with a TV show when you have a stupid network logo on the screen! I've become disgusted with the whole TV business since that started; I once wanted to work in it but I'm glad I never did. If I made a movie I would slip something in pointing out this pure idiocy.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans
Did you used to have a relative that made wild predictions about the future? I think I saw him in an Ed Wood film.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2000 06:44 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Not that I'm aware of, but I wonder why I sometimes have the urge to get a bunch of old hubcaps and make an movie about UFOs or aliens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: