Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Cell

Author Topic: The Cell
Scott McFly
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2000 07:57 AM      Profile for Scott McFly   Email Scott McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i really liked this movie. in the beginning you get a lil confused, because they jump right in and you have to figure out what is going on, then they tell you and everything is good for the people who need all the details spoon fed to them. i really loved the parts where she was inside the killers mind, ive never seen anything more bizzare. anyway, my guess is this movie is going to flop because its just the type of movie people like me love and the average movie-goer hate. its sad really.

|  IP: Logged

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 03:11 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I don't know...still in shock.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-21-2000 03:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find it very shocking in all honesty. The sets and such were just too weird for me to really be taken in. I found the most disturbing scene in the entire film was when the kid was getting beaten by his father, as that was realistic. Past that, it was too "fantasyish" to really be the horrifying tale it seemed to want to be. Very good sound though.

Wade Brashers
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Wade Brashers   Email Wade Brashers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for anyone who goes to see The Cell or who is thinking about going to see this first watch:

The Quay Brothers: Street of Crocodiles

see this short film and you will realise what a bastard ripoff of a movie The Cell is. Tom Foden (the production designer) has
been ripping off this short film (and all the works of the Quay Brothers for that matter) ever since he was doing music videos
with Mark Romanek (NIN's Closer, Modanna's Bedtime Stories)

I don't think the cell was one bit original, The investigative part was laughable, they might as well have cast Tommy Lee Jones and Ashley Judd. The Surreal scenes in the killers mind were taken right from "Street of Crocodiles" Giger's landscapes and many other modern artists like Joel-Peter Witkin. The Cell is just bastardized versions of other people's visions with a mediocre, shock value ala Se7en, plot.

nice try.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2000 08:40 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a movie I enjoyed enough to sit through it twice!

I thought that the sound was pretty spiffy. I watched it in DTS... Though I had been curious to watch it in SRD (as our house that has the SRD tends to look and sounds better than our DTS house), but would have entailed me moving the print to the opposite end of the booth, which is a good 200 ft + walk, and I was not feeling that ambitious!

~GLB

John F. Schultz
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2000 06:35 AM      Profile for John F. Schultz   Author's Homepage   Email John F. Schultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cell is right up there on my list of flops for the year. I had high expectations for The Cell, expecting a brilliant, visually-stunning film. Instead I sat through the longest 2 hours I've wasted since American Pyscho earlier this year. I sat through The Cell with the critic in my town and if I didn't predict it, he did. They wasted too much time for a 2 hour movie getting into the action and then just when my hopes were lifted a little, it went lame.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2000 09:46 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wade: Having mentioned Joel-Peter Witkin, I felt that one of the posters for 'A Stir Of Echoes' was very Witkin inspired. Nothing wrong in that case, but I haven't seen 'The Cell' yet and there is a fine line between 'inspiration' and highway robbery.

I'm looking forward to 'The Cell' as I usually enjoy New Line movies a lot (yes, I've noticed a strong pattern!). Mr. DeLuca, are you reading this?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2000 06:43 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this one. It was more than just stylized violence, in fact, I felt that the violence kinda added to the entire creepy feeling of the movie. Face it, how are you gonna tell a story about a vicious serial killer without having some graphic violence?
I too didn't find it that shocking (Resivoir Dogs did worse in my view), it was thought out, and well acted (even through the trippy scenes). In my mind, it stands out as one of the better films of late summer.

I saw it in our 480 seat SRD house, which wasn't that bad, clear, powerful, and engrossing. But our 300 seat DTS house (of which I've stood in for a few clips) had better bass response, and clearer sound in the loud sequences.

------------------
"Trying is the first step towards failure!"
-Homer Simpson

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: